Skip to content

Welcome to ACES

Alamo Colleges Education Services is a secure portal connecting Faculty, Staff & Students to Academic Resources, Email, and other Online Resources.

Support Contacts Helpdesk (210) 485-0555 Weather Line (210) 485-0189


Login to ACES

ACES login 


Alamo Colleges' Library Information

St. Philip's College
• MLK Campus Library
• Southwest Campus Library


What is a Federal Pell Grant? 

A Federal Pell Grant is a need based grant awarded to students who qualify and have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. 

 How do I know if I qualify for a Federal Pell Grant? 

After filling out the FAFSA, the Department of Education assigns each applicant an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) provided on the SAR (Student Aid Report) sent to your e-mail address. If you are meeting all other requirements,  your EFC will determine overall Federal Pell Grant eligibility and the total amount you qualify to receive for the year.  Please keep in mind your actual EFC is not a dollar amount. 

EFC: 0 – 5157  Pell Grant eligible*
EFC: 5158 & Higher  Not Pell Grant eligible

* Information provided is for 2014-15.  An EFC above 3400 requires half time enrollment, EFC above 4500 requires three-quarter time, and EFC above 5000 requires full-time enrollment.

 Where can I learn more about how my EFC was determined by the Department of Education? 

Students who would like to learn more about how their EFC was determined can download the EFC Formula provided online through the Department of Education.

 If I am eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant, do I have to pay it back? 

 Federal Pell Grants do not have to be repaid unless there is a decrease in enrollment after receiving the funds. Any decrease in enrollment due to withdrawing, being withdrawn, or dropping classes might result in having to pay a portion or all of the Federal Pell funds back.

If I am required to repay Federal Pell funds due to a decrease in enrollment, can I still receive other types of aid? 

No, Federal Pell funds must be repaid in order to continue receiving financial aid. This includes future Federal Pell Funds,  Federal Direct Loans and Work Study.

Can I receive Federal Pell funds for an unlimited number of semesters? 

No, the Title IV Consolidation Appropriation Act of 2012 limits Federal Pell Grant payments to six (6) years of full time enrollment. Students who exceed this time frame can no longer receive a Federal Pell Grant, but can still apply for Federal Direct Loans, Work-Study, or other state grants.  More information is provided on the Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used Fact Sheet.

 About Your Federal Pell Grant

 Where will your Federal Pell Grant be posted? 

Federal Pell Grant recipients can view their award in ACES under the Award Summary. For more information on how to navigate to your Award Summary go to Checking Your Aces & download the Where's My Award tutorial.  

 How will your total Federal Pell Grant for the year be issued? 

The total award in your ACES Award Summary will be divided and issued between the Fall and Spring semesters. 

Example: A student with a 0 (zero) EFC who is awarded the $5, 730 maximum amount of Federal Pell Grant can receive a maximum of  $2,865 in the Fall and also in the Spring semesters. 

How much Federal Pell Grant will you actually receive per semester? 

After dividing your total award for the year in half, the total amount you are eligible to receive for the semester is based upon full time (12 hours) of enrollment. If you enroll for less than 12 hours, the total award will be incrementally decreased to match the actual hours you are enrolled for at the time Federal Pell funds pay your balance.

Example: A student who is eligible to receive a total Federal Pell Grant of $ 2,865 for the semester yet enrolls for six (6) hours will have their funds decreased to a total award of $1,432.  Federal Pell Grant funds incrementally decrease for enrollment between 9-11 hours, 6-8 hours, and 3-5 hours. 

After receiving your Federal Pell Grant can you add classes? 

More information on adding classes can be found under Adding/Dropping Classes


How will your Federal Pell Grant be applied to your bill?  

 More information on how and when your Federal Pell funds will be applied to your balance can be found under Billing and Refunds