Frequently Asked Questions
Exciting News - The Federal Work Study wage rate has Increased to $9/hr effective January 1, 2015
What is Federal Work Study (FWS)?
The Federal Work-Study Program is a financial aid need based program that pays a student $9 per hour, and provides funds that are earned through part-time employment.
How do I know if I qualify for the FWS program?
- To qualify students must have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- You will see Federal Work Study as part of your award in ACES.
I was not awarded Federal Work Study, does this mean I don’t qualify?
Although you may not be awarded Federal Work Study we encourage you to stop by your college's Financial Aid office to determine if you are eligible.
What are the benefits of working under the Federal Work Study Program?
Students who work under the Federal Work Study program are better able to find a job and design a schedule that complements their class schedule and study needs. The earnings are taxable and must be reported on your Income Tax Return (a W-2 is issued). Work Study Program earnings however are excluded from FAFSA form income and therefore do not affect your future financial aid eligibility.
What jobs are available?
The majority of job opportunities involve working in various departments across your college campus and in a few instances at off-site Alamo College offices, and other public and private agency locations.
How many hours a week can I work & what is the pay rate?
- Students can work up to fifteen (15) hours per week. At certain times of year students can exceed the 15 hour weekly maximum while classes are in session and student is enrolled. This however must be approved in advance by the Financial aid Office and also by the students' supervisor.
- The Federal Work Study pay rate is $9.00 per hour.
Is Federal Work Study available during Summer?
Students who are interested in continuing employment after the Spring semester may be able to work up to 15 hours per week in summer based on availability of funds, and departmental needs. Students may apply by completing the summer financial aid request in the ACES, and must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in 6 hours minimum
- Check with your supervisor for position availability
- Complete the Summer Application form in ACES
Easy Steps to complete the Federal Work Study Process
- Access the Alamo Colleges Work Study application at http://alamo.edu/district/hr/
- Select and apply for the Job position at your Home College of record
- Once the application is completed the Alamo Colleges HR department will contact you (if eligible) to complete necessary pre-hire paperwork