Welcome to the Alamo Colleges Police Department
Welcome to the Alamo Colleges Police Department's Web page. This page is maintained for the purpose of keeping the Alamo Colleges community and the general public informed of the current law enforcement and security issues at all of the Alamo Colleges and geographically separate locations.
The mission of the Alamo Colleges Police Department, through a high level of proficiency, is to provide a safe environment in which all members of District community may work, teach, study and learn. This department, in the daily performance of its function, stresses: Service, The protection of life, property and investment, The security of the campuses, and The pursuit of excellence in campus law enforcement and safety.
The Alamo Colleges Police Department provides law enforcement and security services to all components of the Alamo Colleges including academic campuses and a variety of satellite facilities in its service region including Bexar and Guadalupe Counties.
- The Department has 92 authorized positions: 69 state certified Peace Officers, 7 Parking Enforcement personnel, 9 Communications Officers, and 7 Administrative Support Personnel.
- The Department maintains a fully staffed Criminal Investigations Division and a 24 / 7 / 365 Emergency Communications Center with full interoperability capabilities.
- To provide a safe environment for our students, staff, faculty and visitors, the department has uniformed state certified peace officers on patrol 24 hours a day, year round. To provide this around the clock coverage our officers work in three shifts.
- Patrol is the core of the Alamo Colleges Police Department. These officers are the ones to answer calls for service, respond to alarms and enforce state criminal and traffic laws in addition to the rules of the Alamo Colleges. The department also has police officers responsible for specialized assignments including Criminal Investigation, Crime Prevention and Bicycle Patrol.
Jurisdictional, Enforcement & Arrest Authority of Alamo Colleges Police
- The Alamo Colleges Police Department is the primary police authority for the colleges of the Alamo Colleges. Our Police Officers are certified Texas Peace Officers as defined in Article 2.12 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.
- Pursuant to Section 51.203 of the Texas Education Code, the primary jurisdiction of Alamo Colleges Police Officers includes all counties in which property is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise under the control of the Alamo Colleges. As peace officers, the Department’s police officers have the same authority to detain and arrest as municipal police officers.
- The Alamo Colleges Police Department is linked by computer to city, state and federal criminal justice agencies, which provides access to criminal records, wanted persons, stolen property, and vehicle information. All crimes reported to the Alamo Colleges Police Department are thoroughly investigated and are referred for prosecution through the District Attorney’s Office when appropriate. Criminal matters involving our students may also be referred to the appropriate administration for disciplinary action.
- The Alamo Colleges Police Department maintains excellent working relationships with all area law enforcement agencies including the San Antonio Police Department, the Live Oak Police Department, the New Braunfels Police Department, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, the Texas Department of Public Safety, and the local field office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. These working relationships are maintained through periodic communication among agency administrators and by frequent contact between line officers and investigators cooperating on specific cases.