During the fall and spring semesters, SLI scholars will enhance communication skills, presentation skills, and increase overall knowledge of wheat it takes to be a proactive leader. To develop these skills, SLI provides the Leadership Course.
The Leadership Course
Scholars will identify that life is a product of their values, not their feelings.
Fall: Speech 1321
- This is a Business and Professional Communications course (3 credit hours)
- SLI will confirm course section/ACES registration with scholar prior to first class day in August
- Enrollment will increase total number of credit hours in student schedule
- Spring semester: Proactive Leadership
- This is a non-credit course
- SLI will confirm course with scholar prior to first class day in January
SLI provides scholars the opportunity to learn from their peers and establish a professional network with business and community leaders. To enhance the productive leader skill set and too set, SLI provides the Leadership Labs.
The Leadership Labs
Scholars will identify that all things are created twice, first the mental image/picture, then the action.
The Leadership Labs are one Saturday per month from 8:00 am - 2:00 pm. Each lab welcomes guest speakers that provide an overview of the scheduled leadership lab topics. Topics range from Employment Preparedness to Leadership's Role in landing your Dream Job to Workplace Leadership.
SLI provides scholars the opportunity to serve the college campus and community and assume responsibility of leading others to achieve a common goal. To strengthen skill sets and gain experience in project management, effective communication, and collaboration, SLI offers scholars participation in Leadership Teams.
The Leadership Teams
Scholars will discover that things that matter most, must never be at the mercy of the things which matter least.
The Leadership Teams, led by TIER II scholars (2nd year of Leadership Program), will learn how to resolve conflicts, model the way, empower others, and achieve great results through building trust relationships.
- Annual project, the Young Leaders Conference