Frequently Asked Question
MATH 1414 College Algebra (Math/Science Track) Answer:
Textbook: College Algebra and Trigonometry: 2nd Ed, Ratti & McWaters; Pearson Addison Wesley.
Catalog Description: This course includes the study of quadratics; polynomial, rational, logarithmic, and exponential functions; systems of equations; progressions; sequences and series; and matrices and determinants.
Prerequisites: A grade of “C” or better in MATH 0303 or placement by Accuplacer Exam. Other prerequisites include ENGL 0300 and READ 0302.
Semester Credit Hours: (4-4-0)
Course Outcomes: After successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Review exponents, dimensional analysis, factoring, and simplifying rational expressions.
- Find combinations, compositions, and inverses of functions.
- Find the domain of a function given its algebraic or graphical form.
- Solve and graph linear and second-degree equations.
- Use linear transformations to graph functions or determine the function from its graph.
- Solve and graph polynomial and rational functions.
- Solve and graph exponential and logarithmic functions.
- Solve application problems covering simple interest, taxes, exponential growth and decay models, logistics growth, logarithmic models, etc.
- Solve systems of linear equations by substitution, elimination, and matrices.
- Perform algebraic operations on matrices and find the inverse and determinant of a matrix.