Textbook: Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 2nd Edition James Stewart McMaster University
ISBN-10: 1133112285 ISBN-13: 9781133112280
Catalog Description: This course includes limits, continuity,
derivatives and integrals of algebraic, transcendental, and inverse
trigonometric functions, implicit differentiation and higher order derivatives,
related rates, Rolle’s theorem, mean value theorem, velocity, acceleration,
curve sketching and other applications of the derivative, indeterminate forms
and L’Hopital’s rule, area,
Riemann sums, and the fundamental theorems of calculus.
Prerequisites: MATH 1316 or MATH 2412 with a grade of “C”
or better, or equivalent or permission by department. Other prerequisites include ENGL 0301 and READ 0303.
Semester Credit Hours: (4-4-0)
After successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Exhibit a thorough understanding of functions.
- Express the continuity of a function in terms of limits.
- Determine equations of tangent lines.
- Understand the concept of the derivative of a function.
- Find derivatives using the power, product and quotient rules.
- Find derivatives of trigonometric functions.
- Find derivatives using the Chain Rule and generalized power rule.
- Find higher-order derivatives.
- Find derivatives of implicit functions.
- Solve applied problems, including those involving related rates.
- Find derivatives of exponential and logarithmic functions.
- Evaluate indeterminate forms using L'Hospital's Rule.
- Determine critical numbers, Maximum & minimum values, and inflection points.
- Understand the implications of the Mean Value Theorem.
- Exhibit facility sketching curves.
- Solve optimization problems.
- Solve other applied problems using skills developed in this course.