General Eligibility Requirements
Recipients of Alamo Colleges Foundation scholarships are required to:
- Be enrolled at any of the Alamo Colleges.
- Be enrolled full time or part time, depending on scholarship criteria. (12 hours or more is full time).
- Be pursuing an Associate Degree, Certificate of Completion, or transfer program at the Alamo Colleges.
- Have and maintain a satisfactory grade point average (GPA): 2.00 – 4.00
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress as required by Student Financial Services. Please refer to: http://www.alamo.edu/district/financial-aid/sap/
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for need-based consideration: www.fafsa.gov
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. For questions regarding your citizenship, please click on the following link for the U.S. Citizenship Immigration Services: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
- Not be related to any of the Alamo Colleges Board of Trustees and/or Alamo Colleges Foundation Board Members. Please refer to the following link for further information: www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/SB01325S.htm
Applying for Alamo Colleges Foundation Scholarships
You only need to apply one time per academic year to be considered for most Foundation scholarships. You will need to apply again next year to be considered for scholarships for the following academic year. There are some departmental scholarships that require you complete a separate scholarship application. Please inquire about these scholarships with your major academic department.
Complete the online application - Be sure to fully complete the online application. Since the Alamo Colleges Foundation offers many different scholarships, the scholarship application asks many questions to allow us to consider you for every scholarship for which you may be eligible. Current or returning Alamo Colleges students should enter their Banner Student ID# on the application. Applicants who do not have a Banner Student ID# should enter the last 4 digits of their social security number.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – Many scholarships require financial need. Complete and submit the FAFSA at: www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible, since it takes a few weeks before it is received by the Alamo Colleges. Your application is not considered complete until the FAFSA is submitted and received by the Alamo Colleges Financial Aid department.
Transcripts - HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS, TRANSFER and 1st TIME ALAMO COLLEGES STUDENTS: Submit a transcript/GED certificate. Your application will be incomplete and not considered if your transcript/GED certificate is not received by the application deadline. Send your transcript/GED certificate to:
Alamo Colleges Foundation, Inc.
District Office of Institutional Advancement
1300 San Pedro Avenue
San Antonio, Texas 78212-4299
You can also email your transcript to: email@example.com
Selection of Recipients – Scholarship judges or scholarship selection committees will review and rate scholarship applications. Judges/committee members are composed of faculty, staff, and/or community representatives. Rating points are given to each applicant for GPA, academic plans, extracurricular activities, leadership skills, participation in community activities, and responses to the essay questions. Selections are based on the applicant meeting the minimum scholarship criteria, and the points given by scholarship judges/selection committees
Notification of Award - If you are selected to receive a scholarship, you will be notified by email if you are awarded a scholarship.
Scholarship Renewal –There are some scholarships that are renewable, depending on donor wishes. These scholarships are renewed on a semester by semester basis as long as the recipient maintains scholarship criteria and requirements. You will be notified if the scholarship you are awarded is renewable at the time of the initial award.
An online scholarship application must be submitted every year to be considered for a scholarship each academic year.
Revocation of Award - The Alamo Colleges Foundation reserves the right to cancel any scholarship at any time if the recipient fails to meet the standards of academic progress, scholarship criteria and requirements, or falsification of information reported.