Acceptable scholastic performance, also known as Good Standing, is based upon student progress toward successful course and program completion. The components used to compute Academic Standing are GPA and course completion. Procedures are developed to positively intervene on behalf of students in order that they may maintain Good Academic Standing. Students are advised to check their status through ACES. (See Adds, Drops and Withdrawals , which also covers the Three-Peat Enrollment and Six Course Drop Rulings.)
- Minimum 2.0 overall GPA, including developmental courses. Good Standing is affected if overall GPA falls below 2.0 at any time (end of a fall, spring, or summer semester term) and student begins process defined below.
- Students who begin any semester term in Good Academic Standing but fail to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher are placed on Academic Probation. Notification of probationary status is communicated electronically through students’ ACES email addresses.
- Students may re-enroll for one (1) semester term after meeting with counseling/advising services.
- Student status is evaluated after each semester term. Students must earn a semester term GPA of 2.0 or higher to remain enrolled while on Academic Probation.
- Upon completion of above requirements any appropriate Academic Hold will be cleared on student records.
- Academic Probation status is removed when students earn both a semester and cumulative 2.0 GPA.
Continued Academic Probation
- After the first (1) semester term of Academic Probation Status, students may re-enroll at the Alamo Colleges on a Continued Academic Probation status after meeting with counseling/advising services.
- Student status is evaluated after each completed semester/session. Students must meet minimum academic (2.0 GPA) standards for each subsequent semester term until the student has a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- The Continued Academic Probation status is removed when students earn both a seemster and cumulative 2.0 GPA.
Academic Dismissal (First or Second Academic Dismissal)
If students on Academic Probation or Continued Academic Probation fail to earn a semester term GPA of 2.0 or fail to earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in the next semester term following the probation status, they will be placed on Academic Dismissal. Students placed on Academic Dismissal will receive ACES email notification from the Alamo Colleges.
- After remaining out for one (1) semester term for each of the First or Second Academic Dismissals, students may re-enter on Academic Probation only after receiving advisement.
- Students re-admitted must continually earn a semester term GPA of 2.0 or above until Good Standing is reached to remain enrolled.
- Students who wish to remain in school may petition for an exception. Exceptions granted will be re-enrolled under the status of Continued Academic Probation.
- Students may re-enroll in Good Standing if minimum academic standards have been met at another accredited college or university during the period of dismissal.
- Students placed on Academic Dismissal for the third (3) time will not be allowed to enroll for one (1) calendar year.
In addition to the policies above, students may be required to reduce their course loads and/or enroll in a college success course that is designed to teach proven strategies for academic success.
Students who were placed on Academic Dismissal or Academic Suspension at their previous institutions and are seeking to transfer to the Alamo Colleges must follow the policies outlined above.
Academic Dismissal (Third Academic Dismissal)
A student on Academic Dismissal for a third (3) time or more will not be permitted to enroll in the Alamo Colleges for one (1) calendar year after which a petition may be made for re-admission. The Enrollment Services/Admission and Records office can provide information and deadlines on the petition process.
Academic Probation status is removed when students earn a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
In addition to the policy above, students may be required to reduce their course loads and/or enroll in a college success course that is designed to teach proven strategies for academic success.
Academic Dismissal Petition Procedures
Fill out the form Student Petition for Waiver of Academic Dismissal and Reflection Statement completely and print off or print form and fill out using an ink pen (black or blue). Be sure to sign and date.
- in person to the Student Commons Building, room 101
- by fax 210-486-9176, Attention: Graduation and Academic Standards
- or by mail to:
Northeast Lakeview College
Attention: Graduation and Academic Standards
1201 Kitty Hawk Rd, Box 21
Universal City, TX 78148
Upon reception of petition, the Graduation and Academic Standards Office will contact you within 3-5 business days to set up an appointment.
Petitions must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes! Incomplete petition packets will not be considered for review.