San Antonio College Department of Nursing Education Admissions
TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION:
1. Application and current admission to San Antonio College through www.applytexas.org ; please note that if you have been away from our college for longer than one semester you will have to reapply for admission to San Antonio College.
General Admission Requirements to the College
Applicants to the Associate Degree Nursing program must meet college admission requirements in the Alamo Colleges District as outlined in the official college catalog at www.alamo.edu . Applicants must have earned either a high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) in addition to complying with Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements before they will be eligible to apply to the program. Students should consult the college counseling office to determine their TSI status prior to application to the Nursing Program.
2. Send official copies of college transcripts pertaining to education outside the Alamo Colleges to the College Admissions and Records Office.
- If applying to Military to RN Track please send official Military transcripts awarding credit for training as Army Combat Medics, Navy Corpsmen, or Air Force Medics and college work pertaining to outside the Alamo Colleges to the College Admissions and Records Office and the Department of Nursing Education.
3. Apply to the Nursing Program (Click Here to Apply). The online application will be available only during certain application periods and will be removed after the deadline.
Acceptance to the Associate Degree Nursing program is via a competitive ranking process for selection based on a point award system for designated criteria.
- grade point average of prerequisite and required non-nursing courses
- number of hours completed toward Nursing degree
- completion of science course; BIOL 2420 Microbiology & Pathology
- Point awarded for non-repetition of prerequisite Science courses including withdraw ("W").
Application to the Associate Degree Nursing Program requires:
Please refer to the degree plan.Degree Plans are available on E-Catalog
Credit by Examination, CLEP, and Advanced Placement Credit
- Credit through CLEP, High School Advanced Placement Exams and Credit by Examination may be awarded towards your work at Alamo Colleges, however, testing policy states that a “CR” credit for exam cannot be counted towards your composite score for ranking since there is no letter grade present.
Program Requirements: Functional Capabilities (Click Here for the Program Requirements: Functional Capabilities Document)
The student must be able to adapt to changing environments, display flexibility and learn to function in the face of uncertainties inherent in the clinical problems of many patients. Compassion, integrity, concern for others, interpersonal skills, interest, and motivation are all personal qualities that will be assessed during the admission and education process.
Application Filing Periods
Official application filing period for FALL semester admission:
November 11, 2013 - January 17, 2014
Official application filing period for SPRING semester admission:
June 1 – Aug 31
“Notification letters will be sent to your @student.alamo.edu email address”. You will be notified 1 month after application period. Please do not call prior to this.
- After the applicant is admitted or placed in an alternate applicant pool, a permanent file will be initiated to include proof of current:
A photocopy of the applicant’s current American Heart Association Health Care Provider level CPR card. The expiration date of the card must not occur before the end of the first semester of potential entry to the Nursing Program.
Documentation of the applicant’s personal healthcare insurance coverage such as a photocopied insurance card.
Proof of Immunizations required for admission into the program. (Click Here to see immunization requirements)
Background Check Required before admission into the nursing program. (Click Here for background check information.)
"Incomplete applications will not be considered. Submitting incomplete, misleading, or fabricated information on the student admission application or any admission document is reason for dismissal of the student from the nursing program at the time the breach is discovered. Forging signatures or manipulating information requested on heath or education documents required as part of an application is strictly prohibited and will disqualify the applicant for any admission consideration. Students are strongly encouraged to retain original copies of all documents submitted as part of the application packet."