San Antonio College Department of Nursing Education Admissions
TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION:
1. Application and current admission to San Antonio College through www.applytexas.org ; please note that if you have been away from our college for longer than one semester you will have to reapply for admission to San Antonio College.
General Admission Requirements to the College
Applicants to the Associate Degree Nursing program must meet college admission requirements in the Alamo Colleges District as outlined in the official college catalog at www.alamo.edu . Applicants must have earned either a high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) in addition to complying with Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements before they will be eligible to apply to the program. Students should consult the college counseling office to determine their TSI status prior to application to the Nursing Program.
2. Send official copies of college transcripts pertaining to education outside the Alamo Colleges to the College Admissions and Records Office.
- If applying to Military to RN Track please send official Military transcripts awarding credit for training as Army Combat Medics, Navy Corpsmen, or Air Force Medics and college work pertaining to outside the Alamo Colleges to the College Admissions and Records Office and the Department of Nursing Education.
3. Apply to the Nursing Program (Click Here to Apply). The online application will be available only during certain application periods and will be removed after the deadline.
Acceptance to the Associate Degree Nursing program is via a competitive ranking process for selection based on a point award system for designated criteria.
Starting for Spring 2016 Applicants:
- grade point average of required degree plan courses
- number of semester hours completed toward Nursing degree
- completion of science courses: BIOL 2401, 2402, 2420 & Chemistry 1405 or 1305/1105
- A Point is awarded for the non-repetition of prerequisite Science and when a student has no more than one ("W") noted on transcript.
- TEAS V Score All applicants will be required to take the TEAS Version V (five) which measures skills in the content area domains of Reading, Mathematics, Science, and English and Language Usage. Applicants are required to take Version V of the TEAS. Points will be awarded based on the score. Applicants who have already taken TEAS V at another institution must have official scores sent by the ATI to San Antonio College. It is highly recommended that students review the TEAS study guide prior to taking the TEAS. Preparation materials are available from Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) at www.atitesting.com. To schedule your TEAS, contact ATI at www.atitesting.com and schedule your test at San Antonio College. The cost will be $86.00. You must complete the TEAS V before the application deadline.
Application to the Associate Degree Nursing Program requires:
Required Degree Plan Courses
Required degree plan courses may be best taken before application into the nursing program. Degree plan courses must be completed prior to the awarding of AAS degree.
Please refer to the degree plan.Degree Plans are available on E-Catalog
Credit by Examination, CLEP, and Advanced Placement Credit
- Credit through CLEP, High School Advanced Placement Exams and Credit by Examination may be awarded towards your work at Alamo Colleges, however, testing policy states that a “CR” credit for exam cannot be counted towards your composite score for ranking since there is no letter grade present.
Program Requirements: Functional Capabilities (Click Here for the Program Requirements: Functional Capabilities Document)
The student must be able to adapt to changing environments, display flexibility and learn to function in the face of uncertainties inherent in the clinical problems of many patients. Compassion, integrity, concern for others, interpersonal skills, interest, and motivation are all personal qualities that will be assessed during the admission and education process.
Application Filing Periods
Official application filing period for FALL semester admission has been extended to March 21, 2015.
November 11 - January 17
Official application filing period for SPRING semester admission:
June 1 – Aug 31
“Notification letters will be sent to your ACES email address (@student.alamo.edu) ”.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to maintain appropriate contact information at all times.
- Once the applicant receives conditional acceptance, the canddate must complete and return the admissions-packet with the intent to enroll letter before deadline.
Photocopy of the applicant’s current American Heart Association Health Care Provider level CPR card and BCLS cord. The expiration date of the card must not occur before the end of the first semester of potential entry to the Nursing Program.
Documentation of the applicant’s personal healthcare insurance coverage such as a photocopied insurance card.
Proof of Immunizations required for admission into the program. (Click Here to see immunization requirements)
Background Check by the FBI (see Declaratory Order Sections). Required before admission into the nursing program. (Click Here for background check information.)
"Incomplete applications will not be considered. Submitting incomplete, misleading, or fabricated information on the student admission application or any admission document is reason for dismissal of the student from the nursing program at the time the breach is discovered. Students are strongly encouraged to retain original copies of all documents submitted as part of the application packet."