All international students
are highly encouraged to have health insurance for sickness or accident during
the period of time that they are studying at the Alamo Colleges.
The cost of
healthcare in the United States is extremely high. Health insurance can help protect
international students and their dependents from these high costs.
In the United
States, you are responsible for all costs from:
- Doctor appointments
- Dental appointments
- Vision care
- Hospital care
- Emergency care
(a) Minimum coverage shall provide:
(1) Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
(2) Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
(3) Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the
exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000; and
(4) A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
(b) An insurance policy secured to fulfill the
requirements of this section:
(1) May require a waiting period for pre-existing conditions which
is reasonable as determined by current industry standards;
(2) May include provision for co-insurance under the terms of
which the exchange visitor may be required to pay up to 25% of the covered
benefits per accident or illness; and
(3) Shall not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to
the activities of the exchange program in which the exchange visitor
(c) Any policy, plan, or contract secured to
fill the above requirements must, at a minimum, be:
(1) Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best
rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd.
(ISI) rating of "A-i" or above, a Standard & Poor's Claims-paying
Ability rating of "A-" or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+
or above, or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time
(2) Backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the
exchange visitor's home country; or
(3) Part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to
employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
(4) Offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified
Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan
(CMP) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services.
International Student Health Insurance Options
PSI International Student & Scholar Health Insurance
HTH Travel Insurance
Student Health Insurance