Family and friends are welcome to visit you during your stay in the United States. All visits, including those for graduation, required a tourist or B-2 visa. A letter from you may assist your family and friends with obtaining a B-2 visa. Your letter should include the information below. Family members or friends must take the letter with them to the embassy when they apply for the tourist visa.
- Identify the person you are inviting to the United States
- Include your relationship to the person
- Explain the reason for the visit
- Describe how you will support the person during their stay (housing, meals, transportation)
- Include the specific dates of the visit
Visitors will also need the following information for the B-2 visa:
- The original letter from you requesting their visit
- A copy of your I-20
- Copies of financial resources
A consular officer will determine the supporting documentation needed for individuals requesting a B-2 visa.