CONNECTING YOU TO YOUR FUTURE CAREER
Participating in the Alamo Colleges Internship Program will connect you with an organization where you can develop career-related skills in your field of interest and enrich your educational and professional experience.
This guide will assist you in your non-credit internship journey. From student benefits, to steps to applying for an internship, this guide will get you started.
What is an Internship?
- A period of practical training carried out by an Alamo Colleges student within an organization
- Internships can be offered by any type of organization, large or small and for profit or non- profit
- It is a partnership between an employer, student, and school
- The sponsoring company will provide the work location, compensation, and experience in the career field
What are the Benefits?
- An internship assists in determining your career decision
- Provides a great environment for you to find a Mentor who can help you learn about your field of interest
- Allows you to increase your professional connections and outstanding professional references for future employers
- Learn career-related skills such as, public speaking, report-writing, and customer service
What are the Requirements?
- Enrolled in a minimum of six-semester hours (part-time) with the Alamo Colleges
- Maintain a cumulative 2.5 or higher G.P.A.
- Meet Pre-Requisites (as requested by employer)
- Complete and submit all Internship Program forms
Steps to Obtaining an Internship
1. Preparing for an Internship
- Research where (type of work/organization) and what you want to gain
- Prepare a resume and request to have it reviewed by your Colleges Career Services personnel
- Request Letters of Recommendation from faculty or advisors
- Practice answering interview questions and research proper attire
- Utilize resources provided by your Colleges Career Services department
2. Applying for Internship
- Prepare a cover letter specific for the internship - show you have researched the organization
- Submit Student Internship Interest form
- Send cover letter and resume along with reference list
- Always send a cover letter with resume as one attachment
3. Preparing for the Interviewing
- Alamo Colleges Internship Program Coordinator will contact you regarding recommendation and interview
- Obtain a copy of the internship duties
- Wear appropriate interview attire
- Ensure your appearance and mannerisms are professional
- Interview with organization
4. Accepting Internship
- Complete the Internship Job Offer Agreement
- At the end of Internship, complete and submit
- Intern Evaluation form
- Internship Questionnaire