Welcome to the San Antonio College Assessment Center webpage!
The Assessment Center provides testing services to students of the Alamo Community Colleges and the Community. Services include test administration of the TSI Exam for college placement and for Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements, CLEP (credit by examination), and external (non-Alamo Colleges) correspondence testing.
EFFECTIVE August 26, 2013: All prior test scores will no longer be valid for students NOT enrolled for the Fall 2013 term.
The TSI Exam (Texas Success Initiative) is the only approved computerized placement test that is used for assessing a student's readiness to enroll in an entry-level freshman course. The state mandated program is designed to help determine if the student is ready for college-level course in the general areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. It is very important that students do their best in order to have an accurate measure of their academic skills, thereby placing them in the right courses. The TSI Assessment minimum passing standards for college readiness are: Mathematics score > 350, Reading score > 351, and Writing essay score > 5 or essay score of 4 and multiple choice > 363. Students who score below the cut scores are placed in the appropriate developmental course and will need to earn a "C" or better.
TSI Student Information Brochure
What is needed prior to testing (First time in college students and Transfer students):
- Complete an ApplyTexas application for one of the Alamo Colleges at ApplyTexas. Applications can take 3-5 business days for processing.
- Confirm that your application has been processed through the Alamo Colleges online portal ACES.
- Submit official high school transcripts or official college transcripts. Submitting you official transcripts will allow us to evaluate your previous test scores (TAKS, STARR, SAT or ACT) and completed college courses.
- Login to ACES, select the "Start Here" tab, checklist items 1, 2, and 3 must be completed before you are eligible to test.
- Click on the "Enroll" buttons to begin and complete the required MyMaps Alamo Enroll modules (Test Prep Module and GO FAARR module).
- Obtain your student ID number also known as a Banner ID. You will need your Banner ID to take the TSI Exam. Get My Banner ID Number
All students not meeting the exemptions, exceptions, and waivers (see table 1) as defined must take the TSI Assessment as a diagnostic tool to determine reading, writing, and mathematics basic skills. All students who qualify for an exemption, exception or waiver must complete the GO FAARR module and bring the appropriate documentation to the Assessment Center. Students who do not provide official documentation to verify one of the exemptions are required to take one of the TSI assessments, please review Alamo Colleges TSI exemptions, exceptions, and waivers.
|What is needed to take the TSI Exam?
In order for students to take the TSI Exam at San Antonio College, students must have submitted their transcripts and processed by SAC's Admissions and Records. Please review the complete list of items needed in order to test:
- Must have an active application on file at one of the Alamo Colleges
- HS transcript for First Time in College students submitted and processed by A&R
- College transcript for College Transfer students submitted and processed by A&R
- A valid picture ID (State ID, Federal ID, Student ID, Passport, etc.) - No exceptions
- Banner ID Number Get My Banner ID Number
- The total fee for the exam (cash, check or credit cards accepted). We advise all students to wait for the day of testing to pay for their exam as testing fees are non-refundable.
- All students need to complete the GO FAARR and Test Prep modules prior to testing
|TSI Exam Schedule and Office Hours
The TSI Exam is administered on a space available basis. No appointment is required and need to be completed within the times listed below. We do not offer the TSI Exam for other institutions, SAC and Alamo Colleges students only.
The following items are prohibited in the testing lab: food and drinks, your personal scratch sheet, calculators, electronic devices, unauthorized aids, and cell phones must be turned off completely and not be used during the test.
|TSI Testing Hours
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
8:30 am – 11:30 am
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
9:30 am – 12:00 pm
2:30 pm – 4:30 pm**
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday (1st Saturday)
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
(no testing, general information only)
January 16 - Martin Luther King Day (Monday)
March 13-19 - Spring Break (Monday-Sunday)
April 14-16 - Easter Holiday (Friday-Sunday)
April 28 - Fiesta Holiday (Friday)
**On Tuesday, the testing lab closes at 6:45 pm. The Essay test must be completed by closing of the lab, other tests may be saved and continued the next testing exam.
UPDATED: Students are allowed to retest on the next available test date. This includes retesting all parts, one or multiple parts. For all second or subsequent retests, we recommend the student retest after 2 weeks or after they have attended a formal college test prep intervention program (e.g. PASS) to improve their current test scores.
This policy applies to the TSI Exam only.
Alamo Colleges Test Prep
The following sites are not affiliated with San Antonio College or the College:
TSI Assessment Sample Test Questions
TSI Assessment Sample Essays
TSI Web-Based Study App
Accuplacer Test Prep Preview
Aims Community College Study Guide
West Texas A&M University Math Lab
Montgomery College Math
|TSI Full Exam
|TSI One Subject
($20 registration fee + $80 exam fee)
|TSI Testing Accommodations
Services are available upon request from the student and must be supported by documentation supplied by a credentialed or certified person (PhD, MD, diagnostic credential). To request accommodations for TSI testing please visit the disABILITY Support Services (DSS), Moody Learning Center 1st floor or call (210) 486-0020 to schedule an appointment to meet with a dSS Advisor.
Students that speak/write English as a second language; need to improve writing, reading, grammar, speaking and listening; have lived in the United States for 5 years or less.
Please visit Center for English Language Learning at San Antonio College for more information or call (210) 486-0965.
|Correspondence and Distance Learning Exams
At this time we are not accepting new requests for the proctoring of exams by online students whom are not San Antonio College students. We are presently experiencing a very high demand for our college's internal testing needs among our students.
Only students who have made prior arrangements before September 2015 will be able to schedule an appointment for their correspondence exam. New students please contact St. Philip's College (210) 486-2444 or Northeast Lakeview College (210) 486-5401 for Correspondence Exams.
What to do prior testing:
- Have your instructor contact Mr. Oscar San Miguel via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your instructor will need to send all test requirements and test materials.
- Confirm with your instructor that the test materials and/or test have been sent to the SAC Assessment Center.
- Confirm with Mr. San Miguel that the materials have been received and schedule an appointment via email email@example.com.
- Correspondence fee is $20.00 per test, due on the day of exam.
- A valid Photo ID is required (State ID, Federal ID, Student ID, Passport, etc.)
- The student's external or correspondence exams will be administered according to the prescribed regulations set by the home institution regarding use of notes, calculators, time limit, passwords and items necessary to proctor.
NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED IN THE TESTING LAB.