GVEC Donates $15K to Schoolhouse Project
GuadalupeValley Electric Cooperative, Inc. (GVEC) was recognized by Northeast Lakeview
College on July 16 with a formal check presentation for its $15K donation to
the Ring the Texas Schoolhouse Bell Campaign.
The $15K donation is the largest monetary donation the College has received
from a business for this project to date. Lewis Borgfeld, GVEC director, has a
specific connection to the schoolhouse.
Both his mother and grandfather attended school at its original location.
The schoolhouse is now located in Bexar
County on the Northeast Lakeview College campus that serves students in
northeast San Antonio and the surrounding counties of Comal and Guadalupe. Community
involvement and supporting initiatives that benefit the communities we serve
are important values to the Guadalupe Valley Electric Cooperative (GVEC).
Created in 1938 by a small group of farmers who wanted to bring rural
electricity to the area, GVEC serves over 71,000 meters today with a service
area spanning 3,500 square miles across 13 South Texas counties. The headquarters
is located in Gonzales, Texas with area offices in Schertz, Seguin, La Vernia
The college seeks $500K to restore the schoolhouse into a public museum that will again serve elementary children as the school will be designed as a field-trip destination where elementary school students can attend a day-long class taught as it would have been in the late 1800’s.
Photo Caption (L to R): Lewis Borgfeld, GVEC
director; Mark Roberts, GVEC director; and Darren Schauer, GVEC general manager,
were recognized by Northeast Lakeview College officials Dr. Eric Reno,
president, and Dr. Martha Trevino, dean of community development, in front of
the Lower Valley Schoolhouse that sits on the Northeast Lakeview College
To learn about the schoolhouse and how to donate to the restoration project, visit its website