What happens if I am
placed on a 3rd or Permanent Academic Dismissal from the Alamo Colleges?
with three or more Academic
Dismissals are not eligible to petition or enroll for a minimum one full
Academic Year (Fall, Spring, Summer). After
sitting out the required length of time, students must submit a completed petition
packet to the Academic Standards Appeals committee a week prior to the posted deadline by
email at email@example.com
(see deadlines to the right). The committee must receive
the dismissal packet by email 7 business days prior to the deadline to be able
to review and schedule an appointment with students who's petitions are
approved prior to the submission deadline. Late petitions packets are not
accepted, and there is no option to submit a packet in person or on a walk in basis. Information regarding the
Alamo Colleges Academic Standing policy can be found online at http://mynvccatalog.alamo.edu/content.php?catoid=108&navoid=5165#Academic_Standing_and_Probation
Am I eligible to
submit a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal petition?
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTING PETITION
- MUST have sat out one full academic year from last Academic Dismissal. One
full year is a Fall, Spring and Summer Semester.(Example: Last attended Fall 2014, did not enroll Spring 2015, Summer 2015 or Fall 2015. Eligible to petition for Fall 2016 semester.)
- Only eligible to petition for a regular 16 week semester (Fall or Spring).
Northwest Vista College does not accept petitions for Summer, Flex II or Start
- Must have an active application to the Alamo Colleges for the semester you
are submitting a petition. If you have not attended an Alamo College in the
last 12 months, you will need to submit a new application and complete all
admissions requirements prior to submitting a petition. Please see http://alamo.edu/AlamoENROLL/ for application and admissions steps.
Submit a petition to the Alamo College they last attended. Students are only
eligible to petition to another Alamo College if they have sat out a minimum
three (3) years or more.
not have any holds on your record other than the Academic Dismissal hold. All
other holds must be cleared/ waived prior to submitting your petition.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 22, state law now requires you to
provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit :
This must be turned in prior to submitting your petition.
How do I submit
a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal petition?
Click here to obtain your Dismissal Packet.
Dismissal packets must be completed in full with all sections filled out and an attached typed Reflection Statement to be able to schedule an advising session. Students who submit incomplete packets or have not completed all eligibility requirements listed above will not have an appointment scheduled until all requirements have been met.
Ensure you meet ALL eligibility requirements listed above.
Complete the petition packet in full. Read the
instructions fully to ensure that you complete each form as indicated. If you have any questions about how to fill out any parts of the petition packet, you may contact the Academic Standards team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org pr by phone at (210) 486-4459.
3. Students on 3rd/Permanent Academic Dismissal will submit their completed petition packets by email at email@example.com a week before the petition deadline. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
- All pages of the packet are completely filled out.
- A typed Reflection Statement is included in in the email submission
- Student has completed all admission requirements and is registration ready
Submit the petition from your student (ACES) email account only. Petitions submitted from your personal email account will not be reviewed. Petitions will not be accepted in person.
Students who meet all eligibility requirements will then be notified by the Academic Standards Team Leader through their ACES email regarding the approval or denial of the petition. Appointments to continue the petition process are made only if a petition is approved. Petition appointments must be met by the petition deadline, late petitions will not be accepted. Petition appointments will not be scheduled past the petition deadline. The deadline is set by the Alamo Colleges and are not able to be extended regardless of the circumstances. Dates for submitting petitions will be updated for each semester on this website (see box on right side).
** As we have limited spots each semester we often fill these spots in advance of the petition deadline.
4. Before you submit your petition, please ensure you meet all of the requirements above. Please make sure that you have followed all directions on the petition, and have a completed packet. No extensions on deadlines will be given. Read AND understand all requirements on the Contract for Students on Academic Dismissal. If approved, you will be accountable for each item. Failure to meet ALL petition requirements will result in you being dropped from all courses for the semester, and possibly having you sit out for up to one full academic year.
5. Check your ACES email for an email from the Academic Standards Team Leader regarding the decision of your petition. Appointments are required to complete the petition process for those that are approved. Petition appointments must be met by the petition deadline, late petitions will not be accepted. Missed appointments, especially without prior notification, will only be rescheduled once. A second missed appointment will result in automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
- If you are citing extenuating circumstances as to why you are on Academic Dismissal, include any relevant documentation with your packet.
- Read the Reflection Statement
Requirements very carefully. There are three areas that you need to address in
your essay. Please take time to reflect on what events, actions and decisions
resulted in your current academic standing. Remember to discuss all issues
and semesters that you were having trouble in.
make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be
essay MUST be typed, handwritten essays will not be considered. See the
Reflection Statement example in the petition packet as to the format of the essay. The Reflection Statement is very important in determining if your
petition will be approved or denied.
How and when will
I know the decision on my petition?
are normally made within 2-3 weeks of submission. All decisions will be sent
only to the student's ACES email. It is important to check this email on a
regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Alamo Colleges.
You will be notified of this decision via ACES email only.
-The email will provide you several options for appointment times, and request
you to respond with your appointment time of choice.
-During the appointment (30-45 minutes) you will complete the petition
process, as well as go over your degree plan to prepare for registration.
You will be notified of the decision and reason via ACES email only.
If my petition is
approved, what will be my next steps?
your petition is approved, you will schedule an appointment to meet with the
Academic Standards Team Leader. In the appointment session, you will discuss
of you as the student while enrolled
that must be met to continue enrollment each semester
assigned an academic advisor
opportunities for success
What are my
responsibilities as a student on a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal
from the Alamo Colleges?
Students who are approved for re-admission must adhere to the following as
outlined on their Contract for Students on Academic Dismissal:
- Actively attend and participate in ALL enrolled classes,
including the SDEV0171 course (if applicable)
- Complete the SDEV0171 course with a “C” or better (if
- Complete and submit the Mid-term Accountability Plans (progress
reports) to the Academic Standards team at firstname.lastname@example.org by the
indicated deadline (link to forms page)
- Visit with their assigned academic advisor at least once during
the semester, preferably prior to the start of registration for the next
- Earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Continually earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or above until Good
Standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0) is reached in order to remain enrolled.
addition to the policies above, students previously enrolled in a semester
prior to petitioning will be required to reduce their course loads to the
maximum 6-8 credit hours.
What if I do not meet
all the requirements of the petition?
who do not meet ALL requirements will be required to sit out a full academic
year. There is no option to petition the sit-out requirement once a student is
placed on 3rd/ Permanent Academic Dismissal. Once the required sit
out period is over, you will be eligible to submit a new petition.
When will I be back in
Good Academic Standing?
are placed back in Good Academic Standing when both their overall and semester
GPA’s are a 2.0 or higher. Once a student is back in Good Academic Standing
their registration hold will be expired and their enrollment hours will be
restored to full time.