Skip to content

Explore Your Future!

We offer what you need to achieve success. Come explore and find out why so many students have decided to call one of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District the pathway to their future.

Not sure where to start? Our Career Assessment Tool can help.

 Northwest Vista College Library
1st Floor, Redbud Learning Center (RLC)
3535 N. Ellison Dr.
San Antonio, TX 78251
Mon - Thur: 7:30am to 6:00pm

College is different from the Secondary (K-12th grade) system with regard to students with disabilities. Whereas the law (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 2004) requires parents to be actively involved in the student’s education in K-12, College does not require parental involvement. However, the law (Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990) does require that students with disabilities be offered reasonable accommodation for college in order to have equal access to services such as education.

Another difference between  the secondary education system and college is that Colleges are not authorized to release information about students to anyone, including parents. The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 prohibits such disclosure without written consent from the student. Therefore, neither the Access office, faculty, or staff of Northwest Vista College may disclose information about a student including (but not limited to) grades, attendance, or behavior. Click here for more information about FERPA.  

As adults, students now have different rights and responsibilities. The rights of a student include:

  1. A qualified student with a documented and approved disability has the right to reasonable accommodation for equal access to the services provided by Northwest Vista College.

  1. The student has the right to not disclose his or her disability to any instructor or staff.

The responsibilities of students in college include:

  1. The student is responsible for meeting the academic or technical standards of the school. At Northwest Vista College the student must have graduated from high school or received a GED. Click here for more information concerning admission to Northwest Vista College.  

  1. The student is responsible for identifying him or herself as a student with a disability to the Access Office at Northwest Vista College. Although a guardian may participate in this process, the student must identify him or herself. The Access Office is located in Room 204 in Cypress Campus Center. The student may also call (210-486-4466) or send an e-mail to

  1. The student is responsible for providing adequate documentation to support his or her claim of having a disability. Click here for more details concerning documentation of disability.

  1. Once approved, the student is responsible for working with instructors and staff in order to receive the accommodations that are agreed upon by the student and the Access Office staff.

Making the transition from the secondary system to College can be an important step for students quickly becoming independent individuals. As a parent, here are a few important steps suggested by the National Center for Learning Disabilities that are involved in making this transition.

  1. Develop self-determination skills in terms of understanding disability, how the disability impacts learning, and being able to discuss areas that are challenging as well as areas of strength. Also important is being able to disclose the disability when appropriate.

  1. Learning the strategies that are most effective to compensate for the disability.

  1. Knowing which technologies can help to compensate for the disability.

  1. Identifying needed resources, disability-specific and general, and using those resources that help the students academically, personally, and financially. This is a much-needed needed skill at the college level.

  1. Understand the general difference between high school and college. Click here for details.

The Access Office would also like to be a resource for you and your son or daughter in making this transition. Please contact us via e-mail at or by phone at 210-486-4466 if we can be of assistance to you.

Contact Information

Phone: 210-486-4466
Fax: 210-486-9093

Campus Map