Skip to content

Explore Your Future!

We offer what you need to achieve success. Come explore and find out why so many students have decided to call one of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District the pathway to their future.

Not sure where to start? Our Career Assessment Tool can help.

 Northwest Vista College Library
1st Floor, Redbud Learning Center (RLC)
3535 N. Ellison Dr.
San Antonio, TX 78251
Mon - Thur: 7:30am to 6:00pm

Veterans Affairs

Veterans seeking enrollment at Northwest Vista College are encouraged to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for information regarding specific type of eligibility and extent of educational benefits coverage. The Northwest Vista College VA Center (Cypress Campus Center # 110) staff will assist students by providing certification of courses and electronically submitting such information to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Eligible veterans and dependents must declare an educational goal (i.e. follow an approved Northwest Vista College degree plan) in order to be eligible to receive educational benefits from the Department of the Veterans Administration. The VA will only pay for courses in the declared program and any exceptions require compliance with VA guidelines.

National and Regional Contacts

Educational Benefits Information:
1 (888) 442-4551
VA Education and Benefits Web site:
VA Western Regional Education Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at  

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out if I am eligible for VA benefits, the amount of payment and the length of my eligibility?

These questions may be directed to the VA by calling 1 (888) 442-4551 or by using the National And Regional Contact information listed above. Northwest Vista College provides certification of coursework only, we are not able to provide information regarding eligibility, payment, and other VA services.

I've never used my benefits before, how do I apply?

  • Apply online electronically at completing VONAPP
  • Download a PDF version of the application from the VA Web site
  • Meet with advising staff in NVC VA Center (Cypress Campus Center # 110)

How/when do I request certification of my courses?

Chapter 31 Students: Each semester, after registering for classes and prior to payment deadlines, a student must submit a Request for Certification to the NVC Veteran Center in order so that a student can receive his or her payment voucher to be taken to NVC Business Services for payment of tuition and fees. In addition, a current VA Form 28-1905 must be on file so that VA advisors may process a payment voucher and create Books and Supplies Voucher. Students requesting Chapter 31 certification should see an Academic Advisor in the NVC Veteran Center (Cypress Campus Center # 110).

Chapter 33 Students: Each semester, after registering for classes and prior to payment deadlines, a student must submit a Request for Certification to NVC Veteran Center in order so a student can receive his or her payment voucher to be taken to NVC Business Services for payment of tuition and fees.  Students requesting Chapter 33 certification should see an Academic Advisor in the NVC Veteran Center (Cypress Campus Center # 110). 

All other Chapters (30, 35, 1606, 1607): Each semester, after registration and confirmation of necessary payments to the College, students may seek certification with an Academic Advisor in the NVC Veteran Center (Cypress Campus Center #110). 

It is the student's responsibility to request certification each semester of enrollment and to inform the NVC Veteran Center of any changes (adding, dropping, or switching courses) in enrollment status.

What if I have a Parent Letter from another institution?

Students seeking supplemental enrollment at Northwest Vista College should seek VA certification in the same manner as described above. Students will be required to provide a Parent Letter from their primary institution at the time of certification.

What documents may I need to provide for certification?

  • VA Form DD-214, if separated from the military
  • VA Form 28-1905, if using Chapter 31 benefits
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
  • Copy of military transcript
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter

How do I allow my Basic Training to apply as college credit?

Northwest Vista College will grant academic credit for 4 semester hours of Kinesiology to Veterans who provide an official military transcript that supports successful completion of military basic training.

What if I change my schedule (add/drop courses) after certification?

Students changing their enrollment status after certification are required to notify the NVC Veteran Center immediately. We will then notify the VA by submitting a Notice of Change in Student Status VA Form 22-1999b.

What about Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)?

The Veterans Administration may provide educational assistance to qualified veterans under Vocational Rehabilitation Educational Services (Ch 31). Acceptance into this program will permit Northwest Vista College to offer courses for which the VA will pay tuition, fees, textbooks, school supplies, and a living allowance for the student. Every semester of enrollment will require that an approved veteran visit the NVC Veteran Center and participate in the administrative process necessary for the delivery of VA educational benefits.

What about the Hazelwood Act?

The Hazelwood Act (Article 2654-B-1) aids veterans who have exhausted all of their VA educational benefits. A legal resident of Texas is exempt from payment of tuition and certain required fees when the applicant meets certain criteria.

Contact Information

Director: Betty Cunningham

Valerie Sommerville
Terrance Parker
Robert Villarreal

Student Specialist: Gail Monsalvatge

Office Phone: 210-486-4417
Fax: 210-486-9870
Location: Cypress Campus Center (CCC-110)

Regular Hours:

Mon-Wed: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am-7:00 pm
Friday 1:00 pm-5:00 pm

The first Saturday of every month 9:00 am-1:00 pm

August 2017 Hours:    

Mon-Thurs: 8:00 am-7:00 pm  
Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Every Saturday: 9am-1pm

Walk in Basis Daily