Skip to content

Explore Your Future!

We offer what you need to achieve success. Come explore and find out why so many students have decided to call one of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District the pathway to their future.

Not sure where to start? Our Career Assessment Tool can help.

Library Info
Library Information
Ozuna Library and Learning Center
Cir (210) 486-3555
Ref (210) 486-3557
Maymester (May 14–June 3)
Mon–Thurs: 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Fri: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
(Closed Fri, June 1)
Sat-Sun: Closed

Computer Lab

Tutoring Services

Gutierrez Learning
Labs -105

Having Technical Problems?

IT Services
Ozuna 121 and 150

Degree Programs

Two-year and Four-year Degrees in Computer Information Systems

The two-year technical degree, known as an AAS degree, is not suitable for transfer to a traditional four-year degree such as a BBA. Rather, its main purpose is faster entry into the work force. If a student finishes an AAS degree and later decides that he/she wants a four-year degree, the best alternative is to pursue a nontraditional four-year "vocational" degree (BAS, BAAS, BSOE, etc.). (St. Mary's, Texas A&M, and SWTSU have such programs; UTSA does not.) This degree may work for some purposes, but it does limit your options compared to the BBA. PAC is approved to offer an AAS degree in CIS.

The decision whether to pursue the AAS or BBA is ultimately the student's choice. It might be compared to buying a "luxury car" (BBA) vs. "basic transportation" (AAS). There are pro's and con's to both. As a rule of thumb, students who have the means to complete four years of college education should probably choose the BBA; other students, especially night students, should consider the AAS.

Students who want the two-year technical degree should follow Palo Alto's AAS plan in CIS . Students who want the BBA should follow the TAMUK 2+2 plan, the UTSA 2+2 plan in Information Systems, or the OLLU 2+2 plan in CIS (which can lead to BBA or BA).

Special Note to All Transfer Students

A transfer-based associate's degree (such as AS or AA, in contrast to AAS) is generally not very useful by itself as an employment credential; however, many students desire to receive such a degree from PAC on their way to the four-year degree. According to our most recent information, it now appears that in most cases, if you complete the first two years of a university degree plan, PAC will grant your associate's degree without requiring you to take "extra" courses. However, since there has been some confusion over this in the past, you would be well advised to consult the latest PAC Catalog on this point.

All students should seek advisement from the Computer Information Systems (CIS) department before enrolling in the program.



Contact Information

John Dunn 

Sabine Hall (SABINE-203)