Palo Alto College offers two distinct but related degrees in the visual arts: Associate of Art in Art and Associate of Art in Digital Art. Both degrees focus on developing skills as an artist using diverse tools and methods to achieve desired outcomes. Many of the courses offered take a multi-disciplinary approach and some students choose to pursue both degree tracks. Both 60 hour associate degrees are transferable to four-year institutions in order to earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA).
The Fine Arts Department has state-of-the-art facilities for both studio and digital media including:
- traditional darkroom for film photography;
- digital media computer labs with MAC computers;
- fully ventilated painting, photography and drawing studios;
- ceramics studio with kilns for hand building and potter’s wheel work; and
- sculpture studio for working in wood, metal and mixed media.