The Veterinary Technology major is academically challenging and requires a highly motivated individual. The student must be able to master a large course load of medical and scientific material in a short period of time. The program is science based; therefore, a strong background and aptitude for science is recommended.
A limited number of qualified students are admitted to the Veterinary Technology program every fall semester. Should the number of qualified students not exceed the number of available slots, students may be accepted on a provisional basis.
Students seeking admission to the Palo Alto Veterinary Technology program MUST :
- Meet the general admission requirements of Palo Alto College and be admitted to the college.
Have proof of successful completion (with a GPA of 2.0 or higher) of the required prerequisites:
- Be in good academic standing (not on scholastic probation or enforced scholastic withdrawal).
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
- Declare "Veterinary Technology" as major
Complete application packet and return it to the Veterinary Technology Program. Application deadline is June 1. Failure to submit a complete packet could result in the disqualification of your application. It is your responsibility to contact us in order to verify that we have received all the requested materials.
- ENGL 1301- Composition I
- BIOL 1406 or BIOL 1413- Biology for Science Majors I or General Zoology
- SPCH 1311, or 1315, or 1318, or 1321 Speech course
- ITSC 1309, or 1301, or COSC 1301 Computer course
A complete application packet consits of the following:
- Completed Veterinary Technology application form
- Proof of at least 80 or more hours working or volunteering at a vet clinic (see Applications and Forms - below)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (one from Veterinarian or LVT & two from any other non-family sources - professor, supervisor, family friend, etc.)
- Transcripts (copies or unofficial documents are fine)
Application and Forms
Veterinary Technology application
Clinical Experience Evaluation form
Pre-participation Physical Evaluation - Medical History form
Pre-participation Physical Evaluation - Physical Examination form