|What is the Dental Assisting program?
The program seeks to provide each student with the essential knowledge and skills necessary to become a vital part of the dental health care team and to meet the requirements of the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) and Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) examining entity.
Students will obtain knowledge in specific areas of
dentistry to include:
- assisting the dentist during a variety
of treatment procedures
- taking and developing dental
- asking about the patient's medical
history and taking blood pressure and pulse
- serving as an infection control
officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and
sterilizing instruments and equipment
- helping patients feel comfortable
before, during and after dental treatment
- providing patients with
instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment
procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling)
- teaching patients appropriate oral
hygiene strategies to maintain oral health;
(e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- taking impressions of patients'
teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- performing office management tasks
that often require the use of a personal computer
- communicating with patients and
suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing
and ordering supplies)
- helping to provide direct patient
care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric
dentistry, periodontics and oral surgery
|What can I do with this course of study?
The Associate of Applied Science Degree and certificate in dental assisting along with the Registered Dental Assistant certificate (upon successful completion of the RDA course and a passing score of 70 or above) will allow the student to pursue employment as a dental assistant in a dental office to include general dentistry or a specialty in dentistry. Students graduating from the Dental Assisting program will have the necessary certificates needed to be part of a successful dental team.
|What's special about program?
As one of seven Dental Assisting Programs in Texas accredited by the American Dental Association (ADA) Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), the program is committed to excellence in helping to meet the diverse needs of both traditional and nontraditional students.
The application process is closed and will re-open this Fall for Fall 2016 applicants.
Please note prior to attending the mandatory informational session the following must be completed:
1. Complete Apply Texas prior to your Dental Assisting informational session.
2. You MUST be fully enrolled in San Antonio College. Where do I begin? AlamoENROLL Click here
3. Click here to complete the Online Dental Assisting Application for consideration.
4. Once you have completed the online application an automatic email will be sent to you indicating the dates and time of the session. Please check your ALAMO.EDU email.
5. After the informational session each student will be advised individually. Plan your time accordingly; sessions may last all day.
Commission on Dental Accreditation Policy on Third Party Comments