Instructure Canvas, a learning management system that enables faculty to manage and deliver online courses to students, is now available for use. On January 1, 2013, Blackboard Vista will no longer be functioning, so Canvas will completely replace Blackboard Vista as Alamo Colleges' learning management system. San Antonio College has begun the phased implementation of Canvas.
Timeline for Fall 2012:
• Oct. 1 Guidelines for assigning faculty to online classes beginning Spring 2013
• Oct. 15 Training Complete for all faculty using LMS for instruction
• Nov. 9 Schedule Build Validation Complete (verify faculty training; no BB)
• Nov. 16 Deadline for migrating all course from BB to Canvas
• Dec. 15 Access to Blackboard limited to completion of “I”’s
• Jan. 14-20 Schedule Build Validation Complete (verify faculty training; no BB)
Canvas was chosen for the following reasons:
-Ease of use.
-Multimedia integration and delivery.
-Compliance with accessibility standards.
-Social media integration and personalized notifications.
Canvas Training is now available at San Antonio College. Our College Instructional Innovation Center (IIC) offers both face to face workshops for faculty and students and Online training. Faculty can sign up for Canvas Online Training by accessing our IIC training calendar. Student workshops are also available at the Student Mega Lab. Students can register for the Canvas Essentials workshops by accessing the Training Calendar. The Instructional Innovation Center is dedicated to supporting Faculty and Students by offering a wide range of Instructional Technology services.
Have questions or concerns? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.