“Empowering Males to Build Opportunities for Developing Independence”
The program is designed to collaborate with established organizations and agencies to address the plight of an often over-looked demographic: young men of color. EMBODI is designed to address these issues through dialogue, and recommendations for change and action.
- What: 5th Annual EMBODI Men of Color Conference
- When: Saturday, May 7; 7:45am–3:00pm
- Where: St. Philip's College
- Cost: Event is FREE!!
- Theme: "I Am My Brother's Keeper"
- Sponsored by: SPC, NLC, and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, MDHRC
- Participants: Middle/High School and College Men
- Community Service Project: Each participant is asked to bring at least one canned food item, which will be donated to the San Antonio Food Bank
- EMBODI Conference at a Glance: "You and the Law", "Respect Yourself", "Social Media and You", and "Wrap It Up"
Essay Contest: DEADLINE is Friday, April 24, 2015 at mid-night
Males who are high school seniors or college students are invited to participate in this contest. Please click on the link below to download the EMBODI Scholarship Application.
EMBODI Scholarship Application (.doc) | EMBODI Scholarship Application (.pdf)
“I Am My Brother’s Keeper”
Recently, we have witnessed the shooting of unarmed black males by law enforcement officers. We have also seen that the judicial system (courts) have been slow to indict the officers who have taken these black males’ lives. Write an essay which focuses on what you think can be done to lessen the loss of lives on the part of the black community, Hispanic community, the white community, and law enforcement.
- (2) $500 Scholarships–SPC;
- (1) $500 Scholarship–Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.;
- (1) $500 Scholarship–NLC
Please submit essays to Dr. Dollie Hudspeth (firstname.lastname@example.org). Participants who submit a scholarship essay on or before the deadline of April 16th will receive a gift card. This event is a collaboration between the following partners: St. Philip's College, Northeast Lakeview College, the San Antonio Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, and the Myra Davis Hemmings Resource Center.