What is the African American Men on the Move?
The African American Male Initiative was established at St. Philip’s College in 2004. It is a highly focused and intensive culturally centered support program designed to increase retention and academic success of African American male students.
The focus of the initiative is student persistence, success and graduation. We achieve these objectives by helping students identify campus resources; providing support through mentoring to help the student navigate his academic experience; and engaging students in campus activities and social networks. The African American Men on the Move (AAMM) was formed in 2005 to meet these objectives.
Why do I want to be involved in the AAMM?
To provide extra curricular activities that:
- Promote a positive self-image
- Address current issues facing African American Men
- Encourage an open dialogue on various topics to allow for positive healthy debate
- Promote a peer support system
What are the organization's objectives?
Where possible, encourage and facilitate the development of African American Male social and professional groups/organizations. We offer guest speakers on various topics relevant to African American Men. We also, offer workshops for African American Men to develop leadership, professional and personal skills. Our members engage in social activities to encourage camaraderie, a sense of unity and a support.
How do I become a member?
Contact John Martin of Student Life for more information about joining the AAMM organization at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 210-486-2135. You can also visit the AAMM office in the Turbon Student Center Room #113.
Download Our Newsletter and Updates
- Guest Speaker: - Marcus Guillory Click Here for more Details.
- Man on the Move Newsletter
- The SUCCESSFUL Man Series
- African American Male Reception
- EMBODI Conference Registration
For more information, contact:
- Advisor: John Martin
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Location: Southwest Campus Bldg. #1 D-143
- Phone: 210-486-2241
Join Us on Facebook!