What is Fresh X?
The Fresh X Summer Program is a 4 week Accuplacer refresher course to help incoming freshmen, as well as St. Philip’s College and GED students, raise their Accuplacer scores in Math, Reading, and English. This program also helps incoming students successfully transition from high school to college.
At the end of the Fresh X 2011 Program, 63% of students improved their scores.
- Improve Accuplacer Scores
- FREE Course Materials
- FREE Parking
- Savings in Tuition
- FREE Accuplacer test following completion of the Fresh X Program
- Incentives (Prizes and scholarships) for attendance and participation
- Transitioning from High School to College
- Admissions and Enrollment Process
- Admissions Application
- Financial Aid Application
- Mentoring and Guidance
- College Procedures
- Study Skills
Three Categories of Eligible Students
- High School graduates
- Individuals that have earned their GEDs
- Current Alamo Colleges students
I am Interested! What do I do Next?
- Students from any of the three groups must have taken the Accuplacer and have at least one remedial need
- Students complete the application and submit it to the First Year Experience Center
- Students must submit documents (GED, Transcripts, etc.) with application
- Students will be responsible for paying their own test fees to the St. Philips College Business Office before classes begin and at the end of Fresh X.
- Submit copy of your test scores.
Is there a cost for the program?
No. Participation on the program is absolutely free.
Do I have to sign up for all three courses & can I earn college credit?
No. You may only sign up for the course(s) you need.
Does this program help raise Accuplacer scores?
Yes. The benefit of this program is to advance college placement levels in Math, Reading, and English. Every level you advance will save you time, money, and effort.
How are students selected?
Students must qualify for this program and will be selected on a first come first serve basis.
“The Fresh X Summer Program helped me to earn better scores on my Accuplacer placement test and make new friends along the way. I am grateful for all the teachers who helped me get into college level courses instead of going thru the remedial ones. By attending this program, I got a great head start to my college career!”
Summer 2008 Student
“I have served as English instructor for Fresh X since 2004! I have derived tremendous pleasure from seeing students excel on the Accuplacer and qualify for admission into freshman composition without the need for additional developmental coursework. Through extensive practice in grammatical usage and essay development, students gain the skills needed to succeed not only in English but in numerous other college courses. I have been excited about seeing students feel more confident about their potential in writing, mathematics, reading and college success!”
Dr. Sylvia Phillips
Professor, St. Philip’s College