Nursing Home Activity Director
This is 232-hour certification course that includes 120 hours of classroom training and 112-hour practicum. A Nursing Home Activity Director manages a wide range of activities to promote and stimulate the physical and emotional health of the nursing facility resident. Activity Director Updates are also available.
- Long-term Care Activity Directing I
- Long-term Care Activity Directing II
- Practicum in Gerontology
- Financial aid is available in the form of a TPEG-CE Grant, and you can apply at www.fafsa.ed.gov, or call the student financial services office at (210) 486-2600 for more information.
- Textbook - $55 (closer to $30 for a used copy); Care Planning Cookbook for Recreation and Activities by Recreation Therapy Consultants, 5th ed.
- Criminal background check, if required based on your place of employment- $52.50
- Immunizations - varies anywhere from $0 up to $500 depending on which shots you need, what clinic you go to, your place of employment, and/or if you have health insurance (Download an informational brochure about immunizations)
- Alamo Colleges Parking Permit - $50
Nursing Home Activity Director Schedule:
New classes starting soon. Call us for more information.
Nursing Home Activity Director Update Schedule:
Cost for these classes will be $75 contact the Division of Workforce Development and Continuing Education for more information.
For questions on schedule please contact Angela Garcia (210) 486-3325
- You must first apply and be accepted to the Nursing Home Activity Director Program.
- You must be free of previous felony convictions, which will be confirmed via the submission of a criminal background check.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Other required documentation will vary depending on your place of employment at the time of application.
- You must complete the mandatory online student orientation and submit your completion certificate with your application.
How to Apply:
- You must submit a complete application packet, and receive a formal acceptance letter from us before being allowed to register for this class.
- Obtain the application packet, and fill out the Application for Admission form.
- Once you have filled out the Application for Admission form, and completed one of the options below, you can submit your application via mail, in person, or by fax. *Call us for application deadlines.
- Complete the mandatory online student orientation and print out the completion certificate and attach it your application packet.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- If you are currently employed, in any capacity, at a geriatric care facility (nursing home, assisted living, adult day care, etc):
- Request a letter from the DON, Administrator, or HR Rep at the facility where you work, confirming that you meet their immunization requirements, and that you passed their criminal background check. Please d not submit a copy of the actual immunizations received, or a copy of the actual background check results; we only need the letter from your facility.
- If you are NOT currently employed, in any capacity, at a geriatric care facility:
- You must obtain proof of required immunizations. (see the list of immunizations on the application packet)
- You must be free of previous felony convictions, which will be confirmed via the submission of a criminal background check. Visit precheck.com to initiate your background check.
Each student applying to the Nursing Home Activity Director program must complete the mandatory online student orientation. The presentation covers topics such as financial aid, training content, classroom policies, attendance requirements, and much more. Upon completion of the orientation, you will print out the completion certificate and attach it to your application. Applications submitted without proof of completion of the orientation will be denied.