TXIT for Employers
A grant from the U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration has been awarded to Alamo Colleges District to enhance apprenticeship opportunities within the Information Technology sector. These grants will further the Administration's efforts to expand apprenticeships. For Americans who want an alternative to the traditional bachelor's degree, apprenticeships are a way to learn valuable skills that lead to good-paying careers.
"Companies across the country tell me that their greatest challenge today is finding the skilled workers they need. This funding will bolster America's competitiveness by adding more skilled workers to fill millions of open jobs today and in the future".
-U.S. Secretary of Labor Eugene Scalia
Employer Benefits and Information
Employing an apprentice can simultaneously enrich a company’s work culture while bolstering its bottom line. Apprenticeships bring the following benefits to employers:
- Immediate access to new, skilled, motivated employees
- Unique opportunity to shape and mold a model employee from the word “go”
- Increased team loyalty and reduced turnover
Workforce Issues Solved by Apprenticeship
- Consistent high turnover and difficulty finding employees for a specific position
- Certificate Program graduates who do not sufficiently prepare workers to hit the ground running
- Ability/desire for current staff to advance with training or certification they do not currently possess
- New hires to this job can integrate more quickly by learning from experienced incumbents
Benefits of Apprenticeship for Employers
- Customized training tailored to the specific needs of businesses
- Increased knowledge transfer mentor and education courses
- Enhanced employee retention: 91% of apprentices who complete an apprenticeship are still employed nine months later.
- Safer workplace due to the program’s emphasis on safety
- Stable and reliable pipeline of qualified workers
- Systematic approach to training
|ApprenticeshipUSA||IT Fact Sheet|
Data Supports Apprenticeships *
businesses that have integrated the apprenticeship model into their talent development strategy
of these same businesses that would recommend an apprenticeship to others
of apprentices stay at their place of employment after their apprenticeship ends
* Department of Labor – Employer Fact Sheet
Alamo Colleges District Grant Project Director
Phone: (210) 485-0479
Shawntá Davis, M.A.
Senior Advisor for Success – Texas is IT!