What is Federal Work Study (FWS)?
The Federal Work Study Program is a financial aid need based program that pays a student $9.00 per hour, and provides funds that are earned through part-time employment.
How do I know if I qualify for the FWS program?
- Students must have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Students will see Federal Work Study as part of their award in ACES.
- Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours at their Home Campus.
I was not awarded Federal Work Study, does this mean I do not qualify?
Although you may not be awarded Federal Work Study, we encourage you to stop by your college's financial aid office to determine if you are eligible.
What are the benefits of working under the Federal Work Study Program?
Students who work under the Federal Work Study program are better able to find a job and design a schedule that complements their class schedule and study needs. The earnings are taxable and must be reported on your Income Tax Return (a W-2 is issued). Work Study Program earnings, however, are excluded from FAFSA income and therefore do not affect your future financial aid eligibility.
What jobs are available?
The majority of job opportunities involve working in various departments across your college campus, and in a few instances at off-site Alamo College offices and other public and private agency locations.
How many hours a week can I work and what is the pay rate?
- Students can work up to fifteen (15) hours per week. At certain times of the year students can exceed the 15 hour weekly maximum while classes are in session and the student is enrolled. However, this must be approved in advance by the Financial Aid Office and also by the student's supervisor.
- The Federal Work Study pay rate is $9.00 per hour.
Is Federal Work Study available during Summer?
Students who are interested in continuing employment after the Spring semester may be able to work up to 15 hours per week in summer based upon availability of funds and departmental needs. Students may apply by completing the summer financial aid request in ACES, and must meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a minimum of 6 hours
- Check with your supervisor for position availability
- Complete the Summer Application form in ACES
Steps to complete the Federal Work Study Process:
- Access the Alamo Colleges Work Study application at http://alamo.edu/district/hr/.
- Select and apply for a job position at your Home College of record or off-campus Community Base position.
- Once the application is completed and you have been confirmed eligible, the Alamo Colleges HR department will contact you by email via the email address used on your application to complete the necessary New Hire paperwork.
- Please also monitor your email spam folder for this email from the HR department.
- Once hired, view the Work Study Handbook.
Campus Department Supervisors ONLY: