The Alamo Colleges Private-Sector Work-Study Program (PWS) provides federal financial aid eligible students the opportunity to work part-time in a private-sector workplace related to your career interest. Private-sector employers are businesses that seek to generate profit and provide goods and services.
Private-sector work-study experiences bridge the gap between the classroom and real-world knowledge. You may work between 10 to 19 hours per week with earn-and-learn opportunities that provide meaningful skills training that align with your future career goals. The Private-Sector Work-Study positions will pay $12.50+, depending on the employer and the position.
The Private-Sector Work-Study Program is available to work-study eligible students in all majors, although there may not always be positions available related to each major, which is a requirement to apply. Because this is a new program at Alamo Colleges, new businesses will continue to post positions regularly. Check back periodically to review new job postings.
If you do not find a PWS position that aligns with or is related to your major, you can apply for a Community Work-Study (CWS) Program job.
Applying for a Private-Sector Work-Study position is a competitive process. Employers are looking for students with either some work experience or completed relevant course work, as well as students who are doing well academically, so GPA can be important.
You may be eligible for a position if you:
- Qualify for federal work-study
- Submit a resume and cover letter (samples provided below; editing and coaching is provided as needed)
- Are willing to work either remotely, onsite, or hybrid
- Manage the communication between your supervising faculty member and the employer, if you are completing a program-required internship
If you know you are eligible for work-study:
- Go to alamo.edu/jobs, click on Work-Study, click on Private-Sector Work-Study, and complete the application.
- Create or reformat your resume in the required PWS Resume Format.
- Go to alamo.edu/careerprep, click on Work-Study and Internship Opportunities, under Position Type select Private-Sector Work-Study and select 1-3 jobs which interest you and are aligned with your major.
- Write a cover letter for each of the jobs you have selected using the PWS Cover Letter Format.
- Send your job choices, resume, and cover letter(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org as WORD documents.
- Send inquires to email@example.com.
If you are on federal financial and do not know if you are eligible for work-study, cut and paste the inquiry below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
I am currently on federal financial aid.
Please inform me if I am also eligible for a work-study award.
Provide your full name and your Banner ID#
If you are not yet on federal financial aid, visit https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa to complete the federal application.
Contact Us Today!