The Private-Sector Work-Study (PWS) Program provides federal financial aid eligible students the opportunity to work part-time at area businesses to provide students the opportunity to earn-and-learn through relevant work experiences. These positions bridge the gap between the classroom and real-world knowledge and develop your career and academic interests. Private-sector employers are businesses that seek to generate profit and provide goods and services to paying customers.
PWS offers numerous benefits for students, you:
- enrich your academic knowledge
- have the opportunity to gain relevant career experience
- may acquire additional clarity on your career choice
- will begin to understand the mission of a business that provides services or products to customers
- can make contacts with professionals who can help you later when seeking a job or an internship
- will build your resume to include work experience that is related to your field of study
- improve your job prospects after graduation
PWS is available to work-study eligible students in all majors, although there may not always be positions available related to each major, which is a requirement to apply. Because this is a new program at Alamo Colleges, new businesses will continue to post positions regularly. Check back periodically to review new job postings.
If you do not find a PWS position that aligns with or is related to your major, you can apply for a Community Work-Study (CWS) Program job.
Applying for a PWS position is a competitive process. Employers are looking for students with either some work experience or completed relevant course work, as well as students who are doing well academically, so GPA can be important.
To determine if you are ELIGIBLE and TO APPLY, see the FAQs below.
- Be eligible for Federal College Work-Study
- Submit a Work-Study Application
- the application for Spring 2022 opens January 4, 2022, and closes on March 4, 2022.
- Remain enrolled in a minimum of six college hours, three hours at your home college, all of which must be required for your degree plan
- Complete the Alamo Colleges District HR Hiring process (you will be emailed by the Alamo Colleges Human Resources Department); Failure to respond promptly to HR or submit incomplete requested information will delay your hiring process.
- Go to alamo.edu/careerprep (ACES login required)
- Click on Work-Study and Internship Opportunities, under Position Type select Private-Sector Work-Study and review the postings that end in PWS
- Select up to two positions that interest you. The positions must be aligned with your field of study (major)
- Create or reformat your resume in this required format: CWS.PWS Resume 2022
- Write a cover letter for each of the positions you have selected, using this required format: PWS Cover Letter
- Send your resume and cover letter(s) (as a WORD docs) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- When you have completed the Human Resources process and your resume and cover letter(s) are reviewed (and edited as needed), they will be forwarded to the employers you selected.
- You will be notified when your resume and cover letter(s) have been sent to the employers
- The employers will contact you directly to schedule an interview upon reviewing your resume and letter. It is the employer’s discretion to offer an interview
- Because employers are paying a portion of student wages, these positions tend to be highly competitive. Completion of relevant courses, work experience, and GPA are important considerations
- Workplace etiquette, professionalism, and appropriate dress is expected
- Employers depend on your reliability and consistency with your regular work schedule
PWS students may begin working on the first day of class of a semester and may work continuously with an employer who invites them to continue through the next semester.
When you accept a PWS job, you are committing to remaining with the employer for a minimum of one semester. Your position can be extended if the employer invites you to remain with them for the next semester.
You will determine your weekly schedule with your supervisor on the first day of work. The employer is required to work around your class schedule.
You will work between 10 and 19 hours per week at the pay rate (minimum of $13.75) the employer has indicated on the job posting.
You will be paid on the 1st and the 15th of each month.
The following is a brief list of the over 100 positions available through the PWS program.
Go to www.alamo.edu/careerprep (ACES login required) for a complete listing of jobs.
Below is a list of some of the SA employers eager to hire Alamo Colleges work-study students.
4 Paws Animal Hospital
Go to alamo.edu/careerprep (ACES Login Required) for a complete listing of employers.
Contact Us Today!