The Alamo Colleges Private-Sector Work-Study Program (PWS) provides federal financial aid eligible students the opportunity to work part-time in a private-sector workplace related to your career interest. Private-sector employers are businesses that seek to generate profit and provide goods and services.
These private-sector work-study experiences bridge the gap between the classroom and real-world knowledge. You may work between 10 to 19 hours per week with earn-and-learn opportunities that provide meaningful skills training that align with your future career goals. The Private-Sector Work-Study positions will pay $12.50+, depending on the employer and the position.
For Spring 2021, the Private-Sector Work-Study Program is available to work-study eligible students majoring in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), Advanced Manufacturing & Logistics (including Industrial Trades), and selected majors from the Creative & Communication Arts, Business & Entrepreneurship, Health & Biosciences, and Public Service fields of study. For a complete list of specific majors, visit PWS majors.
You may be eligible for a position if you:
- Are studying one of the specific PWS majors
- Qualify for federal work-study
- Submit a resume and cover letter (samples provided below; editing and coaching will be provided as needed)
- Are willing to work either remotely, onsite, or hybrid in Spring 2021
- Manage the communication between your supervising faculty member and the employer, if you are completing a program-required internship
Major not a fit? If your major does not qualify for Public Sector Work-Study Program, consider the Community Work-Study Program.
If you know you are eligible for work-study:
- Go to alamo.edu/jobs, click on Work-Study, click on your home college, and complete the application.
- Create or reformat your resume in the required PWS Resume Format.
- Go to alamo.edu/careerprep, click on Work-Study and Internship Opportunities, under Position Type select Private-Sector Work-Study and select 1-3 jobs which interest you.
- Write a PWS Cover Letter for each of the jobs you have selected.
- Send your job choices, resume, and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have questions? Email Katherine at email@example.com for help.
If you are not yet on federal financial aid, visit https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa to complete the federal application.
If you are on federal financial and do not know if you are eligible for work-study, cut and paste the inquiry below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
I am currently on federal financial aid.
Please inform me if I am also eligible for a work-study award.
Provide your full name and your Banner ID#
Contact Us Today!