The scholarship application includes the following three (3) essay questions. Each essay is required and should not be more than 250 words.
- Describe your background and life experiences to include any challenges or successes. Explain how these experiences prompted you to pursue a higher education.
- Describe your educational, career and life goals. Explain your plan for achieving these goals. Include your certificate/degree plan, why you selected it, and how earning a certificate/degree will help you achieve your goals.
- Explain how receiving a scholarship will help you achieve your goals.
Essay Writing Tips
Scholarship application essays are reviewed by scholarship judges and selection committees. In addition to GPA, volunteerism, leadership, community service, military service, employment, and extracurricular activities, your essay should set you apart and let scholarship judges and committee members know why they should rate your application above all the other applicants.
- Write your essay in a word processor to run spell check and word count. Copy and paste the essay to the application.
- Make sure you understand what you are supposed to write about. Answer the essay question. Do not write about an unrelated topic.
- Begin and end your essay with a strong introduction and conclusion.
- Include personal information you want the scholarship judges and selection committee members to consider, such as who you are, your struggles, past accomplishments, your career and educational goals.
- Be specific and provide details. Let the scholarship judges and committee members understand your struggles and experience your accomplishments; write a memorable essay.
- Before submitting your essay, read it out loud to hear the tone and flow, and make sure it is readable. Revise your essay if necessary. Have someone proof read it for clarity.
When writing your essays on the scholarship application:
- Do not indent paragraphs
- Eliminate any excess spaces after sentences.
- One sentence should follow directly after another without multiple spaces in between.