The mission of the Academic Support Center and Course Exam Center is to provide support for students in their own academic progress and improvement. These Centers will concentrate on guiding students through their own learning process using discipline tutors, supplemental instruction, and through collaboration with classroom faculty. The Course Exam Center provides proctoring and accommodation testing to students enrolled in Alamo Colleges District courses. These centers will provide support for students in all instructional modalities. Students needing course-based testing services will be served efficiently and ethically.
Check out our LibGuide for detailed information about hours and available tutors, or click on the links to the left!
- See our LibGuide for the current tutor schedule!
The ASC offers online tutoring for NLC students enrolled in distance education classes. Students can submit the Online Tutoring Form and receive an email response from a tutor within 2-3 business days. Students should have a specific question in mind related to a course concept or assignment, and tutors will address relevant concepts, illustrate related examples, provide links to helpful online resources, and/or give holistic feedback. Tutors will not answer specific homework questions or edit or proofread essays.
The Academic Support Center also offers students the ability to access online tutoring through Brainfuse. Students are able to access this service by logging into their Alamo Community College District portal, ACES, where they are presented with a channel to this service under their Student and My Courses tabs. Students can also access this service through their CANVAS course shell. This service provides tutoring in mathematics, sciences, writing/English, Spanish, and selected social sciences.
With Brainfuse, you can:
- Receive Instant Tutoring and interact with a live tutor.
- Submit Your Writing to our Online Writing Lab for a review.
- Submit a Question and receive a reply from a tutor.
- Personalized Skills Building & Test Prep in college readiness, college subjects, Accuplacer, Compass and GRE.
- Create your own flashcards and online quizzes/games to reinforce classroom learning.
- Form online study groups or schedule live sessions with peers/faculty instructors using the Meet collaborative whiteboard (audio capable).
- Record and email video-like notes on the Brainfuse whiteboard.
Library Building (NLIB 214)