The end of the spring semester is quickly approaching and that means graduation! Commencement will be held Friday, May 14, 2020 at 6:30 pm at D.W. Rutledge Stadium (900 S. Seguin Rd. Converse, TX 78109). In case of extreme inclement weather, an alternate date of Monday, May 17 has been secured.
As we continue to keep the health and safety of our students and their guests a priority, masks will be required at the ceremony. Temperature checks will be given to graduates and employees. Each graduate will be limited to 4 guests. Tickets will be handed out during the Graduation Packet drive-thru event. The ceremony will be live-streamed and the link will be available on the graduation webpage a few days before the ceremony.
What you need to do:
- Pick up Graduation Packet from NLC: Drive through Metrocom Circle (around the flagpoles) on THURSDAY, April 29th from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Bring your signed General Release Form (attached).
- Confirm if any special accommodations will be needed for you or your family members (wheelchair access, etc.).
Students may Order Commencement Announcements online through Jostens:
- Log onto Jostens.com
- Click on Graduation tab, College, then Announcements
- In the search box; type Northeast Lakeview College
- Select Northeast Lakeview College Universal City, TX from the drop-down menu
- Click on Graduation Announcements
- Select your package and customize the announcement with your name and degree
- PLEASE PROOF the document completely before processing your order
Announcements will be shipped to the address you provide on the order. PLEASE ALLOW 3 - 4 weeks for order processing and delivery.
- Business/ Business Casual (no shorts).
- Keep the South Texas weather in mind. Lightweight closing is suggested.
- You will be photographed at least twice during the ceremony. Please keep this in mind. Dark shoes have a more favorable appearance with formal academic wear (NO stilettos/heals/wedges on the field please, per Rutledge Stadium requirements).
Cap and Gown Regalia
All participants must wear an academic cap and gown (and provided mask). They are provided FREE of charge.
- Those wearing regalia (cap and gown) always wear their caps in academic processions and during the ceremony of conferring degrees.
- The cap is worn level on the head, slightly forward (never tilted) with the tassel on the front‐right.
- When wearing regalia, the tassel is worn on the right side of the cap until the end of the commencement ceremony when graduates will be instructed to shift the tassel to the left side.
- Gowns should be approximately eight inches from the floor (a temporary hem can be sewn if needed). Keep in mind, your trousers, skirts, shoes, etc. are visible. Consider dark clothing.
- If you are an honor student, you will be allowed to wear honor cords.
- It is recommended that you take your gown out of the bag, steam it or iron it on a low setting, and place it on a hanger a few days before your ceremony in order to decrease the wrinkles.
- Graduates can decorate their caps for the ceremony.
Honors and Honor Cords
- Undergraduates who have maintained at least a 5 NLC GPA will be recognized for graduating with honors.
- Note: Honors designations listed in the commencement program are unofficial. Your official designation will be indicated on your Official Transcript.
- Any additional recognition items are to be coordinated with specific organizations. For example, Phi Theta Kappa/NSLS Stoles (and other accessories) are purchased through the Phi Theta Kappa/NSLS
Each graduate will be photographed a minimum of twice during the commencement ceremony. An external vendor, Flash Photography, has been secured to take a photograph of each student on stage with their diploma as well as one formal photograph.
Flash Photography will contact graduates after the ceremony with instructions on how to order and purchase photos.
On May 14th
- Arrive at D.W. Rutledge stadium by 6:00 pm (showing up late may prohibit your participation in Commencement).
- Doors open 5:00 pm
- Be sure to bring your provided mask, cap and gown, and associated accessories!
- Please keep in mind that there will be no seating for graduates prior to the start of the ceremony. You will be standing in processional alphabetical order as you wait for the ceremony to start.
- Graduates A-L will line up on the home side of the stadium; Graduates M-Z will line up on the visitor side.
After the Ceremony
- Remember to set up a rendezvous point for you to meet up with your family/friends following the ceremony.
- Diplomas will be mailed out (to the address on the graduation application) 8 - 10 weeks after the end of the semester in which degree requirements for graduation were completed.
- Request final transcripts to be sent to you and/or your transfer institution by requesting them via ACES. Transcripts are generally sent 3-5 business days after the request is made.
We are working hard with D. W. Rutledge Stadium to make this ceremony a memorable one. Please continue to monitor your email for additional instructions and updates as they are made available.