To respect social distancing measures, beginning Monday, March 23rd all classes will be online and access to campus buildings, including the labs, will be restricted.
The CARES labs will continue to serve students by providing online tutoring with NVC tutors through: Brainfuse-TutorMatch.
Please do not hesitate to contact me via email at email@example.com if you need any assistance.
For more information, click here
English and Reading Labs
Welcome to the Centers for Academic Reading and English Support at NVC (CARES). At CARES, our goal is to help students acquire the reading and writing skills they need to be successful in college and throughout their lives. Check out our labs by clicking the links below.
Students, please let us know how we're doing. We'd love to hear from you. Click on the link below to access our student satisfaction survey.
Instructors, please feel free to use our referral form below to help us better serve your students.
The Centers for Academic Reading and English Support (CARES) help sustain the mission of Northwest Vista College by providing comprehensive academic support services that promote independent learning, academic achievement, and critical thinking skills.
To accomplish our mission, we provide quality tutoring and academic support in developmental English, developmental reading, and college level English courses. In addition to these tutoring services, we also offer assistance and advising with assessment, course placement, degree plans, and drop counseling for English and reading through our Advocacy Center.
We take pride in the fact that our tutoring services have been certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). We want our faculty, staff, and students to be assured of the superior quality of assistance they will receive when they come to CARES. Feel free to come visit us soon and get to know us better. Our centers are located on the first and second floor of Juniper Hall and in Redbud Learning Center.
- To provide students with an opportunity to further develop their study skills and understanding of course content.
- To provide students with an opportunity to develop positive attitudes towards themselves, their studies, and their skills.
- To empower students to become confident, effective, and independent learners.
- To work in partnership with faculty and staff to identify and assist students with academic needs.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Our Writing Center is a learning center. Tutors will work with students to edit, revise, and plan papers, but this is not a place for students to simply “drop off” papers to be edited.
You do not have to make an appointment. You can just walk in.
You will need 14 hours of lab time per semester. We recommend spending about an hour per week.
- Writing Strategy: Getting Started
- Writing Strategy: Redundant Acronyms
- Writing Strategy: Apostrophes
- Writing Strategy: Definite/Indefinite Articles
- Writing Strategy: Audience and Purpose
- Writing Strategy: Comma Splices
- Writing Strategy: Sentence Fragments
- Writing Strategy: Homonyms (Misspelled and Misused Words)
- Writing Strategy: Idioms
- Writing Strategy: Irregular Verbs
- Writing Strategy: MLA Format
- Writing Strategy: Modifiers
- Writing Strategy: Paragraphs
- Writing Strategy: Parts of Speech
- Writing Strategy: Passive and Active Voice
- Writing Strategy: Thesis Statement
- Writing Strategy: Transitions
- Writing Strategy: Wordiness
- Writing Strategy: Writing Process
- Strategies 01: Mumble, Read, and Listen
- Strategies 02: Skimming and Key Words
- Strategies 03: Marginal Notes and Mapping
- Strategies 04: Inductive/Deductive Reading and Annotating a Text
- Strategies 05: Reading/Rereading and Rumination
- Strategies 06: Reflection Points and Talking Through a Text
- Strategies 07: Hearing or Visualizing a Text
- Strategies 08: Start at the End and Summarize
- Strategies 09: Reading on a Walk and Moving When You Read
- Strategies 10: Confidence & Focus
- Strategies 11: A Special Place, A Journal, and Reading Rewards
Academic Program Coordinator
Academic Program Specialist - SI for English Lab
College Level English Lab
The Advocacy Center