Welcome to the WAC Lab, the Alamo Colleges District’s first writing center dedicated to Writing Across the Curriculum.
The WAC Lab serves Northwest Vista College by providing writing tutoring for students in any class outside of the English department.
We also provide resources and support for faculty who include writing assignments in their classes.
The Writing Across the Curriculum Lab is committed to serving students and faculty at Northwest Vista College. Through one-to-one tutorials, workshops, and other resources, we assist students in becoming more confident and proficient writers. We believe that writing ability does not just depend on talent, but rather it is a skill students can develop and improve through practice. Because the best way for students to practice this skill is to be exposed to a variety of writing throughout their college careers, we also serve to encourage and assist faculty who want to include writing in their courses. By creating course-specific writing resources and collaborating with faculty across the campus, we seek to enrich the culture of writing at Northwest Vista College.
The WAC Lab is a place where you can get help with any writing you’re doing for classes outside the English department.
Visit the WAC Lab to:
- Meet with a writing tutor to get help brainstorming a topic, organizing your ideas, or polishing a draft
- Work on a writing assignment on the computer and get feedback whenever you ask
- Use print resources (dictionary, MLA handbook, APA handbook, etc.)
Not On Campus?
Call to schedule a telephone tutorial. You and the tutor can discuss the paper on the phone.
Remember to log in and log out each time you use the Lab!
Find helpful handouts on a variety of writing topics (including MLA and APA format) at the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL):
The WAC Lab is here to help you integrate writing into your class. We are constantly compiling new resources to assist faculty with the challenges of assigning, commenting on, and grading writing.
Some of our resources include:
- The WAC Lab Coordinator: Deb can collaborate with you to plan specific workshops, presentations, and handouts tailored to your classes.
- The WAC Lab Tutors: Tutors can help your students with any type of writing assignment. If you send your assignment sheets, rubrics, and other materials to the Lab, tutors can give your students even more specialized assistance.
- Lab Tours: Help the Lab work for you by introducing your students to our space and services. Call the Coordinator to set up a 5-10minute Lab tour.
- Classroom Presentations: If bringing your students to the Lab isn’t possible, let us come to you. Call the Coordinator to schedule a 5-10 minute in-class introduction to the WAC Lab.
- Print and Online Resources: Come by the Lab to use the books and online resources we’ve compiled for faculty.