Welcome to the Office of Student Development
It is the mission of student development to provide a community environment that is holistic to growth and development of students in all areas of their college experience. We strive to provide programs and services that optimizes transformative student learning and leadership; builds a safe and supportive campus; fosters the emotional growth and personal development of students for a lifelong commitment to personal and social responsibility, and makes a positive contribution to the overall student experience.
About Student Development:
“Student development is the concern for the development of the whole person.”
It is what we do to encourage our students’:
• Personal Development/Growth
Source: Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice N. Evans, D. Forney, F. Guido-DiBrito (1998)
Student Development courses assist students in their transition to college. These courses provide essential information about Northwest Vista College's policies and procedures, as well as strategies for academic and lifelong success.
Student Development courses can help you:
• Raise your Grade Point Average
• Be an effective decision maker
• Improve performance on exams with better test-taking skills
• Make reading a meaningful experience
• Handle note taking challenges
• Create strategies to deal with the expectations found in college
• Explore/identify a major suited to your interests, values and plans
• Face the university experience with greater confidence
• Recognize your developing personality and strengths
• Grow in personal development as a college student
Message to Students:
First Time in College Students are required to take either SDEV 0270 OR EDUC 1300. To fulfill requirement students must receive a C or better in either of these course. EDUC 1300 in NOT intended for Education/Teaching Majors.
You are required to take a Student Development course:
• If you have fewer than 15 college level credit hours
(not to include dual credit).