TSI (Texas Success Initiative)
The following tests scores may exempt you from TSI Assessment:
|Exempt TSI Parts||Writing and Reading Portions
||Math Portion||Additional Requirement|
|ACT||English 19+||Math 19+||Composite must = 23+|
SAT - Taken Prior to March 2016
|Critical Reading 500+||Math 500+||Combined Critical Reading and Math score must = 1070+|
|SAT- Taken on or after March 2016||Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) 480+||Math 530+|
|TAKS Exit Level||English Language Arts (ELA) 2200||Math 2200+|
These exempting scores expire after 5 years of the test date.
The following non-test score items may exempt you from the TSI Assessment:
- Transfer coursework that is determined to be equivalent to the following Northwest Vista College courses with a grade of C or higher for the respective part of the TSI Assessment:
- Writing - INRW 0420, ENGL 0301, ENGL 1301, ENGL 1302
- Reading - READ 0303, INRW 0420, ENGL 1301, ENGL 1302, ENGL 2322, ENGL 2323, ENGL 2327, ENGL 2328, HIST 1301, HIST 1302, PSYC2301
- Math - MATH 0303, MATH 0320, Any equivalent college level math course
- Graduated with an associate degree or higher from regionally accredited higher education institution
- Documented to be College Ready or Exempted for respective area of the TSI Assessment on official transcript from another Texas Public College or University
- Veteran who has separated from the Military on or after August 1, 1990 under honorable conditions
The following items may waive a student from the TSI Assessment but may be required to take it after the waiver expires:
- Complete an identified High School College Preparatory Course with a final grade of 75 or higher (This only applies to high schools that have an agreement with Northwest Vista College)
- Enroll no later than 2 years after graduation
- Must take respective college level course within 1 year of initial enrollment
- Active Duty Military (member of the Reserves must show proof of 3 years of service prior to enrollment)
- Certificate Program that is one year or less (42 or fewer semester hours); A diagnostic exam through the TSI Assessment is required in accordance to Alamo College's requirement
The TSI Assessment College Level Placement Scores:
TSI Writing Placement and Essay
340+ and 4+
<340, ABE 4+ and 5+
The cost of the TSI Assessment
All Three Parts
Location: Cypress Campus Center, 2nd Floor, Room CCC-207
Unapproved items are not allowed in testing rooms (this includes purses, book bags, laptops, cell phones, books, etc.). It is advised that you leave these items in a safe place while testing. Coin return lockers (quarter) are available on a first come first serve basis, and are not guaranteed. Testing staff is not responsible for holding items and you will not be allowed to test with any unapproved items in testing room.
Photo ID is required for all exams.
All exams must be completed in one sitting and by end of scheduled test times. If you require special accommodations, please visit the Access Office.
If you have any questions, please contact the Assessment and Testing Office at 210-486-4346 or email us at email@example.com.