Academic Dismissal Petition Packet Requirements
You will submit your completed petiton packet and reflection statement b email to email@example.com. Petitions are not accepted in person. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards Team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
The Dismissal Packet are available now.
Please read all the requirements below before submit your complete packet.
You will submit your completed petition packet and reflection statement by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Petitions are not accepted in person. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
- Student has completed all admission requirements and is registration ready
- Packet is submitted in PDF form – all answers must be typed.
- Acceptable file formats are PDF and Word. No other file formats are accepted.
- All portions of packet documents are completely filled out
- A typed Reflection Statement is included in the email submission
* Students who do not meet all the requirements will be notified which requirements are lacking and asked to resubmit their packet once all requirements have been met.
Students who meet all eligibility requirements are notified through their ACES email with information regarding their next steps.
Priority Date: August 5th
Final Deadline: August 12th
No extensions on deadlines will be given. Dates for submitting petitions will be updated for each semester (see box on left side).
Once your dismissal packet has been complete and reviewed. The Academic Standards Team will email to you to schedule dismissal interview.
**As we have limited spots each semester we highly recommend that you submit your packet as early in the petition period as possible. Once all Dismissal Interviews have filled, students will have to wait until the following semester to petition.
**Missed interview sessions, especially without prior notification, will only be rescheduled once, if Dismissal Interviews are available. A second missed appointment will result in automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
Students will meet with an academic advisor to review their petition packet and discuss their plan to be successful. In the Dismissal Interview, the student will be given a decision as to whether the petition has been approved. If the petition is approved, the student will be eligible to register. You will also be registered for a required Strategies for Success course (SDEV0171). More information regarding this class will be provided in the Dismissal Interview. During your interview, you will work with an advisor to develop an Action Plan to help you be successful in your returning semester and beyond. You will also be provided with a list of available resources on campus that will help you stay on the road to success.
Decisions are normally made within one week of meeting with an advisor for your Dismissal Interview. Remember, submitting a petition does NOT guarantee your petition will be approved. All decisions will be sent to the student's ACES email only. It is important to check this email on a regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Northwest Vista College.
- You will be required to adhere to all petition requirements indicated on the Contract for Student on Academic Dismissal. Failure to complete all requirements will result in non-compliance for your petition and you will have to sit out a full academic year. No exceptions will be made.
If Not Approved:
- The advisor will provide you with information via ACES email on steps to take in order to petition for an upcoming semester.
• If you are citing extenuating circumstances as to why you are on Academic Dismissal such as medical related issues, include any relevant documentation with your packet.
• Read the Reflection Statement Requirements very carefully. There are three areas that you need to address in your essay. Please take time to reflect on what events, actions and decisions resulted in your current academic standing. Remember to discuss all issues and semesters that you were having trouble in.
• Please make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be academically successful.
• Your essay MUST be typed, handwritten essays will not be considered. See the Reflection Statement example in the petition packet as to the format of the essay.
Academic Standards Team
The Petition for Academic Dismissal Packet is now available.The deadline to complete the petitition process for the fall 2019 semester is as follows:
Priority Deadline - August 5th, 2019
Absolute last day to submit - August 12th, 2019
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed a dismissal interview.
Students who submit their packet after August 5th up to August 12th are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion, and are scheduled for dismissal interviews until all SDEV0171 courses and dismissal interview sessions are filled.