Academic Dismissal Petition Packet Requirements
You will submit your completed petition packet and reflection statement through the PASS Canvas module. Petitions are not accepted in person. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards Team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
The Dismissal Packet will be accessible through the Canvas course. You will be added to the course once you have completed the Admissions process (step 1) and submitted the Academic Dismissal Petition form (step 2). Students will be added to the course beginning Wednesday, April 8th until Wednesday, August 5th, 2020.
Please read all the requirements below before submit your completed packet.
Click here to view the Academic Dismissal Checklist.
You will submit your completed petition packet and reflection statement through the PASS Canvas module. Petitions are not accepted in person. Once your packet has been received, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure that all of the following requirements have been met:
* Students who do not meet all the requirements will be notified which requirements are lacking and asked to resubmit their packet once all requirements have been met.
Students who meet all eligibility requirements are notified through their ACES email with information about scheduling your dismissal interview.
Priority Date: Sunday, December 1st, 2019
Final Deadline: Monday, January 6th, 2020
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed a dismissal interview. If you submitted your packet and had completed all steps of the process by December 1st, 2019, the Academic Standards team will contact you via email to schedule a dismissal interview on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students who submit their packet after December 1st, 2019 and by January 6th, 2020 by 11:59 pm are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion, and are scheduled for dismissal interviews until all SDEV0171 courses and dismissal interview sessions are filled. Please allow up to four (4) business days for a response.
No extensions on deadlines will be given.
Once your dismissal packet has been complete and reviewed, the Academic Standards Team will email to you to schedule dismissal interview.
**As we have limited spots each semester we highly recommend that you complete the petition process as early in the petition period as possible. Once all Dismissal Interviews have filled, students will have to wait until the following semester to petition.
**Missed interview sessions, especially without prior notification, will only be rescheduled once, if Dismissal Interviews are available. A second missed appointment will result in automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
Students will meet with an academic advisor to review their petition packet and discuss their plan to be successful. In the Dismissal Interview, the student will be given a decision as to whether the petition has been approved. If the petition is approved, the student will be eligible to register. You will also be registered for a required Strategies for Success course (SDEV0171). More information regarding this class will be provided in the Dismissal Interview. During your interview, you will work with an advisor to develop an Action Plan to help you be successful in your returning semester and beyond. You will also be provided with a list of available resources on campus that will help you stay on the road to success.
Decisions are normally made within one week of meeting with an advisor for your Dismissal Interview. Remember, submitting a petition does NOT guarantee your petition will be approved. All decisions will be sent to the student's ACES email only. It is important to check this email on a regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Northwest Vista College.
- You will be required to adhere to all petition requirements indicated on the Contract for Student on Academic Dismissal. Failure to complete all requirements will result in non-compliance for your petition and you will have to sit out up to a full academic year. No exceptions will be made.
If Not Approved:
- The advisor will provide you with information via ACES email on steps to take in order to petition for an upcoming semester.
• If you are citing extenuating circumstances as to why you are on Academic Dismissal such as medical-related issues, include any relevant documentation with your packet.
• Read the Reflection Statement Requirements very carefully. There are three areas that you need to address in your essay. Please take time to reflect on what events, actions, and decisions resulted in your current academic standing. Remember to discuss all issues and semesters that you were having trouble in.
• Please make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be academically successful.
• Your essay MUST be typed, handwritten essays will not be considered. See the Reflection Statement example in the petition packet as to the format of the essay.
Academic Standards Team
Effective Monday, March 23rd until further notice:
Drop-in services will be offered through our chat service only.
Chat (Drop-In) Services are available:
Beginning Monday, March 23rd until further notice:
General Hours of Operation
Spring 2020 Hours
1st Saturday of the Month: 9:00am-1:00pm
Note: Appointments are not available the same day, they must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
Enrollment Management is now held at the Records Office. It is no longer at Advising.
The Advising Services office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100. Please be able to provide your full name, and banner ID when requesting specific information.
The Academic Advising Services are located in Cypress Campus Center (CCC) in the first floor hallway, directly past Student Financial Services. Please visit the Advising Services Check-in Window for assistance.
The following information is for the upcoming Fall 2020 semester:
Fall 2020 Priority Deadline
Thursday, July 30th, 2020
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed a dismissal interview.
Fall 2020 Absolute Last Day to Submit
Friday, August 7th, 2020
Students who submit their packet after July 30th and by August 7th, 2020 by 11:59 pm are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion.