Expectation of faculty mentors:
- Faculty mentor 10-15 students [Faculty may volunteer for more students.]. Faculty mentors have an active say in the students they mentor.
- Two 20 minute sessions during the faculty member’s office hours per semester
- Set up 1st face-to-face meetings with mentees within 3-4 weeks of classes starting.
- Create understanding that the student can reach out to the faculty member whenever they need and follow-up as agreed upon.
- Email or phone call to follow up with students periodically. Faculty should refer the student to the advisor or other appropriate resource for specific information or actions that they cannot perform. Resources are available on the Faculty Student Mentor Program webpages and more information will be made available to faculty/student mentors.
- Be willing to connect with your students and be a resource to them.