COVID-19 Information & Resources for Students
COVID-19 Incident Report Process Update
REPORT EACH and EVERY potential exposure, confirmed exposure, positive test result, and onset of COVID-19 symptoms is IMMEDIATELY, whether the affected person (individual who has been exposed to COVID-19, tested positive for COVID-19, or is exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms) has been onsite at NVC or is working/learning remotely. Reports need to be submitted for employees working onsite or remotely, students learning onsite or remotely, vendors onsite within the past two weeks, and community members or others onsite within the past two weeks.
ANYONE can submit a report. It is preferable for the affected person to submit a report, but anyone can submit a report regarding an affected person. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that a report is submitted IMMEDIATELY.
It is CRITICAL that a report is made whether the affected person has been onsite or remote (vendors, community members, or others onsite within the past two weeks) for several reasons.
- Access requests and access lists are reviewed before submission to verify that no one on the list is an affected person.
- Reports involving individuals who have been onsite trigger several follow-up actions, including close contact identification, disinfection of physical spaces, Risk Management follow-up, quarantine timeframes, access schedules, notifications, etc.
- Reports involving individuals who have not been onsite trigger several follow-up actions, including Risk Management follow-up, quarantine timeframes, access schedules, notifications, etc.
FOLLOW-UP INSTRUCTIONS FOR AFFECTED PERSONS FOLLOWING REPORTING
- Employees should stay home, notify their supervisor, and RESPOND to any phone calls or messages from Garvin Dansby, NVC coordinator of College Risk Management, the NVC Risk Management team, and Alamo Colleges District Enterprise Risk Management.
- Students should stay home, notify their instructor, and RESPOND to any phone calls or messages from Garvin Dansby, NVC coordinator of College Risk Management, NVC Risk Management team, and Alamo Colleges District Enterprise Risk Management.
- Employees working onsite and students attending classes onsite – DO NOT come to campus until officially released to do so by Risk Management.
RESPOND to all requests for follow-up information from Risk Management.
Contact Garvin Dansby, Coordinator of College Risk Management, for questions at email@example.com.
Software & WiFi
- Internet: Free from Comcast and Spectrum.
- Free internet in designated parking area at the Northwest Vista College
Canvas: All courses will now be facilitated through Canvas, the Alamo Colleges District learning management system. You can access Canvas through ACES.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 17, students will be able to access the Remote Ready Boot Camp for Students. You can find it in your Canvas course list. Zoom: Your instructors and your advisors will be using Zoom to interact with you.
- Using Zoom via the Web: You do not have to set up an account because Zoom is available via the web: Alamo.zoom.us. Faculty and staff will send you meeting invites, and you can join the meetings by simply clicking on the link
- Using Zoom via the App: If you choose to download the zoom app, you must sign in “with SSO”. The company domain name is: alamo. Once that information is entered, you will be directed to the ACES login page. Simply log in to your ACES account and your available meetings will appear.
How will we communicate with you:
- ACES e-mail account: The official form of communication. We will be sending you updates, so please check regularly.
- CANVAS: Your instructors may be communicating with you through your CANVAS course.
- Please check the following website for general COVID-19 updates: https://www.alamo.edu/covid-19/
- Please check the following website for updates on student resources: https://www.alamo.edu/nvc/news-events/covid-19-info/
Social Media: please check the college’s social media channels for updates and information. If you haven’t subscribed yet, you can like/follow us using the links at the bottom of this page (look for the purple icons).
Attention: We are extending the payment deadline for Flex II. Please check the website for updates!
- Please visit the Financial Aid website at https://www.alamo.edu/admission--aid/paying-for-college/financial-aid/financial-aid-tv/ or call Local: 210-21ALAMO (210-212-5266) Toll-Free: 1-844-20ALAMO (1-844-202-5266) to speak to a Financial Aid counselor, Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm; Thursdays 8:00 am-7:00 pm.
If you need to pay your tuition for the semester, please visit https://www.alamo.edu/admission--aid/paying-for-college/business-office/.
- Credit Card: Pay on-line through your ACES Account
- Check: Pay on-line through your ACES account.
- Cash: Alamo College is still working on a process to pay by cash. Please check the website for updates.
College offers online/remote tutoring with both our regular in-house tutors and external tutors through Brainfuse. Brainfuse provides support for all Alamo Colleges students.
Brainfuse Online Tutoring can be accessed from within ACES or from any Canvas course:
- Select Live Help if you have a quick question – sessions are 30 minutes.
- Select Tutor Match if you want to work with an in-house tutor.
- Select Writing Lab if you want a paper reviewed.
You have 7 hours for use with Live Help and the Writing Lab. Your time in Tutor Match is unlimited, but please respect the needs of others and only book up to 2 hours twice a week.
Brainfuse Tech Support:
If you need more time or have questions, you can:
The CARES labs will continue to serve students by providing online tutoring with NVC tutors through: Brainfuse-TutorMatch.
Please do not hesitate to contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any assistance.
The Library will be sending out announcements via Facebook posts, the Library website, and LibGuides. Please check these regularly.
During this remote period, printed materials will be unavailable for circulation.
The Library’s Virtual Reference Desk will be available during the following hours:
Mon. – Thur.: 7:30am to 8:30pm
Fri.: 7:30am to 4:00pm
Sat.: 8:30am to 2:30pm
During open hours, you can contact us via chat. To chat with us, click on the green chat box button located in the lower left-hand corner of the Library’s website.
Have a question while we are closed? Email it to email@example.com. We will respond by the next business day.
Remember, the Library is here to support you. Reach out to us if you have any questions.
The health and wellness of students and staff of Alamo Colleges District is our highest priority. Out of an abundance of caution, the Alamo Colleges District has made some temporary changes to the way we provide instruction and operate in light of the growing concerns related to the coronavirus.
- Students should not return to campuses for classes and will be instructed on how to continue classes and receive support remotely.
- Students with Work-Study jobs should not report to work. This includes both on and off-campus work-study students. Expect to receive further information from your supervisor.
- Updates for both work-study and financial aid students will be posted as they become available on the financial aid homepage: https://www.alamo.edu/admission--aid/paying-for-college/financial-aid/ (scroll down to the news section for the latest information)
- All study abroad programs for summer are canceled. We will continue to evaluate future programs as the situation evolves.
- Update your AlamoAlert (RAVE) settings and & Contact Information. Instructions are located here.
Student Hotline Hours:
- Monday – Thursday 8 am to 7 pm
- Friday 8 am to 5 pm
- Every Saturday 9 am to 1 pm
IT & HELP DESK