Leading Ranking Platform Rates Local College
September 13, 2018
Niche, a leading ranking platform with 50 million users has ranked Alamo Colleges District - Northwest Vista College (NVC) as the best community college in Texas on its 2019 Best College in the U.S. list. Northwest Vista College is listed at No. 1 in Texas and No. 6 in the nation out of 868 ranked best community colleges in America. This is a significant jump from the 2018 ranking which previously listed NVC at No. 3 in Texas and No. 41 in the nation.
The Niche ranking is based on data from the U.S. Department of Education as well as millions of reviews from students and alumni regarding value, academics, campus life and other factors important to students.
“It is not by chance that Northwest Vista College has been ranked the No. 1 community college in Texas and No. 6 in the nation by leading ranking platforms,” said NVC President Dr. Ric Baser. “Northwest Vista College faculty and staff are focused on improving student success. The data from the U.S. Department of Education shows NVC produces measureable results, which is a culmination of faculty and staff efforts to improve the lives of San Antonio students for almost 25 years.”
Northwest Vista College has seen a 164 percent increase in the college’s three-year graduation rate and almost an eight percent increase in students’ persistence (students returning from fall to fall).
This month, Northwest Vista College was nominated for the 2019 Bellwether Award for NVC’s Project Math Paths. The Bellwether Award recognizes outstanding and innovative programs and practices.
Additional recognitions earned by the college this year include:
- Nominated for the 2019 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence, the nation’s signature recognition of high achievement and performance in America’s community colleges. NVC was selected from a pool of 1,000 public two-year colleges nationwide and one of 15 in Texas.
- Ranked No. 2 community college in Texas BestColleges.com
- No. 4 community college in the nation for Hispanics according to Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine. Hispanic enrollment at the NVC grew from 44 percent in 2005 to 62 percent in 2014-2015 academic year. The number of associate degrees earned by Hispanic students grew from 38 percent in 2005 to 58 percent in the 2014-2015 academic year.
- 2018 Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges by National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD) and Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- NVC President Dr. Ric Neal Baser earned the Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College 2018 Outstanding Alumni Award
Alamo Colleges District - Northwest Vista College (NVC) has been creating opportunities for success on the West Side of San Antonio for almost 25 years. NVC opened in 1995 with 12 students in the Westover Hills area of San Antonio. Current enrollment exceeds 17,000 students pursuing associate degrees, certificates and marketable skills achievement awards. To learn more, visit NVC.
The mission of Northwest Vista is to create opportunities for success by offering quality academic, technical and life-long learning experiences to its diverse communities in a collaborative, student-centered, data-informed and shared leadership environment.