News Brief: May 13, 2019
May 13, 2019
The weekly news brief contains the latest news and information from Palo Alto College.
Online student wins PAC Speech Competition
Palo Alto College (PAC) student Leticia Villarreal was named Grand Champion of the 3rd annual PAC Speech Competition on Thursday, May 9. As the winner of the "DeLecour Cup," Villarreal took home a $300 scholarship. Villarreal joined the competition after enrolling in an online public speaking course with instructor Joseph Coppola in spring 2019, making her the first online student to win the Speech Competition. Other Speech Competition winners included:
- 2nd place and recipient of a $200 scholarship: Megan Marques, Southwest Legacy High School dual credit student (Instructor: Samantha Arnold)
- People's Choice Award and recipient of a $100 scholarship: Sydney Acevedo, Frank L. Madla Early College High School student (Instructor: James Harris)
- Judges' Awards and recipients of $40 cash prizes: Genoveva Muñoz, PAC student (Instructor: Tony Longoria), Joele Romero, Frank L. Madla Early College High School student (Instructor: James Harris), and Andrea Vargo, PAC student (Instructor: Tony Longoria)
These six winners earned their spots in the finals from over 1,000 speech students enrolled in the 2018-2019 academic year. The competition was judged by Dr. Robert Garza, president of Palo Alto College; Mike Behrend, chef, restauranteur, and 2018 TEDxPaloAltoCollege speaker; and Audrey Gossett-Louis, district attorney of the Texas 81st Judicial District.
Palo Alto College English instructor published
Dr. Melissa Elston, assistant professor of English at Palo Alto College (PAC), has published an article for the Spring 2019 issue of the Writing Program Administrators (WPA) Journal. The Council of Writing Program Administrators publishes empirical and theoretical research on issues in writing program administration. The research includes a wide range of research in various formats, research that not only helps both titled and untitled administrators of writing programs do their jobs, but also advance academically, institutionally, and nationally.
Want to share your PAC news, activities, accomplishments, awards, and more on the News Brief? Email email@example.com following the guidelines below.
• Title: All submissions should include a title
• Body: Do not exceed 80 words or 3-4 full sentences
• No bullets; use full sentences only
• Use proper grammar and punctuation