The Alamo Colleges District Generates Big Return for County, State and Students
This study documents short-term impacts based on college, student, and employee spending and long-run impacts associated with the educational achievements of Alamo Colleges students and alumni.
Return on Investment for Local Taxpayers:
• Get $1.2 billion in added tax revenue via higher student lifetime incomes and increased business output.
• Save $61.8 million due to reduced demand for government-funded social services.
• Keep 96% of Alamo Colleges students around to contribute to local economic growth.
Students in the Alamo Colleges District:
• Spend $119.7 million for tuition, fees, books and supplies.
• Individually earn $5.20 extra for every dollar they spend on college (an annual rate of return of 19.4%!).
• Collectively earn an additional $2.7 billion over their working lives.
The State of Texas:
• Gets $18.7 billion in added state income over the course of the students' working lives.
• Saves $217.9 million via reduced crime, lower welfare/unemployment costs, and increased health & well-being.
• Accrues $22 in benefits for every dollar invested over the course of the student's career..
For more information, read the full EMSI report (PDF).