FAQs International Students



How does San Antonio College define an international student?

An international student is individual who holds a valid non-immigrant visa allows for study in the United States.

I already hold a non-immigrant visa; can I study at San Antonio College?

There are non-immigrant visas that allow individuals to study in the U.S.  Visit “Non-immigrants Who Can Study?” for the list of eligible visas.

Can I study at San Antonio College with an active Tourist/Business Visa (B2/B1)?

Per federal regulations, B-1 and B-2 nonimmigrants (i.e., visitors who are in the United States for business and pleasure purposes) are prohibited from enrolling in a course of study at a U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school.  Visit Department of Homeland Security webpage Study in the States for detailed information regarding B-1/2 Visitors who want to enroll in school.

How do you apply as an international student to San Antonio College?

Please click here International Admission Requirements for information regarding international student admission at San Antonio College.  

Is there a fee to apply as an international student?

There is a one-time $100 non-refundable processing fee for international student applicants.   There is no fee for the Apply Texas admission application.  You can pay the International Student Application fee in the Alamo Colleges District Marketplace Mall.

Who can help with the international student enrollment steps?

For assistance, please contact the International Student Services Office sac-iso@alamo.edu

Can I pay as a Texas resident (In-district or Out-of-district) if I hold a non-immigrant visa that allows for study in the U.S.?

If a non-immigrant visa holder is eligible to domicile in the United States, he/she may be eligible to pay Texas resident tuition.  For the list of eligible visas who can domicile, go to: Visas that allow to domicile in the U.S.

Do I have to take an English proficiency exam to attend San Antonio College?

Students interested in attending San Antonio College are given the Michigan exam to determine English proficiency

Can I defer my offer of admissions?

Please contact the International Student Services advisor for information regarding deferred admission.

Does San Antonio College accept transcripts from colleges and universities in a foreign country?

Yes.  The San Antonio College will accept foreign transcripts that have been evaluated by a member of the NACES organization.

Please note: Some evaluation services require the document be translated into English before they can complete the evaluation.

Where can I find an agency or company that evaluates foreign credentials?

For a list of NACES members, go to: National Association of Credential Evaluation Services

Which type of evaluations should I select?

Admission requires a general evaluation stating your documents are equivalent to that of a U.S. high school or U.S. College

or university.  For transfer credit, you must request a detailed or course-by-course evaluation. 

Please note: there is no guarantee transfer credit can or will be awarded.

How much money do I need to satisfy the Financial Resources requirement for F-1 visa applicants?

The funds needed to satisfy the Financial Resources is $25,000 to cover one-year (two semester) tuition, fees and living expenses for student and an additional $5,000 per dependent.

How long will it take issue my form I-20?

Generally, the form I-20 is issued in approximately 2 weeks after all required documents have been received.  You can contact the International Student Services advisor at the College you will attend for additional information. 

Once I receive my form I-20 how do I get my student F-1 visa?

Once you receive your form I-20 you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and complete the online Visa Application, form DS-160, then schedule an interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.  For additional information click “Student Visas”.

Do I need any vaccinations?

Texas State Law (SB 1107) established the requirement for students under the age of 22 years entering any Texas institution of higher education to provide proper documentation showing they have received the bacterial meningitis vaccination within five years and at least 10 calendar days before the beginning of the semester. The bacterial meningitis vaccination expires five years after the date it is received. The vaccination must be within the five years on the first day of classes for the starting semester. 

Do I need health insurance?

It is highly recommended that all international students attending San Antonio College have appropriate health insurance for the duration of the program of study.  For more details go to Health Insurance.

Do I have to attend an International Student Orientation?

All F-1 visa students are required to attend the F-1 Visa Compliance Seminar.  Once accepted, the International Student Services Office will send additional information.

How many credit hours am I required to register for?

To maintain your F-1 visa status, you must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours every fall and spring semester.

What is the tuition payment options?

Pay online with credit card or check through your ACES student account. Cash payments are accepted at Business Office.  You can also make arrangements to pay your tuition with a payment plan.  Once a payment plan has been set up, you can schedule the additional payments to be automatically deducted from your checking account or applied to a credit card. Remember, if you choose this option, all payments will be made prior to the payment deadline and no additional actions are necessary. Visit the Business Office for more information on paying your tuition.

Can international students apply for financial aid or scholarships?

F-1 students are not eligible to apply for Federal aid such as the Pell Grant; however there may be limited State funding available. Please contact your International Student Services advisor for more information. 

Can international students work with an F-1 visa?

No, the F-1 visa is a student visa not a work visa. Please contact your International Student Services advisor for questions regarding employment.

Can international students take online courses?

As per Federal regulations F-1 visa students can take one online 3 credit class per semester.  Please contact your International Student Services advisor to discuss your specific needs.

What does remote learning or instruction mean for international students?

Remote Learning or Synchronous Instruction: The same as a standard course only on Zoom. Students will log-in during class hours and be lectured face-to-face with an instructor digitally. Canvas and additional remote-access tools may be used.

Online or Asynchronous Instruction: A traditional, fully distanced, online course. Students will have a series of tasks or modules to complete each week but may do so on their own time. Online courses are delivered entirely on Canvas, though they may use additional online tools.

SEVP made modifications for spring, summer, and fall 2020 to allow a full-time course load online.

What would I need to access Zoom?

To access remote learning, you will need a computer, internet and access to your ACES account.



International Student Services

Patrice Ballard
Senior Coordinator/PDSO                  
OC 220| 210-486-1720

Dalia De Leon
Senior Specialist
OC 220| 210-486-0116

Loree Morgan
Administrative Associate
OC 220


Other Alamo Colleges Services

Admissions and Records

Alamo Colleges Emergency

Alamo Colleges Non-Emergency

Alamo Colleges Weather Line