Services for Women & Non-Traditional Students
What is the service or program?
The Department of Services for Women & Non-Traditional Students (SWANS) consisting of the Women's Center, the Seguir Adelante and Mi CASA Programs, are located in the Empowerment Center. SWANS offers comprehensive services in a one-stop environment for both students and the community.
Who does this serve?
Services are provided for women and non-traditional students including single parents, displaced homemakers, first-generation college students, residents of public housing, dislocated workers, and other individuals needing support to succeed in a college environment.
What services are available? When?
A wide range of services are offered to students on the departments caseload including academic advisement, academic skills development, childcare referrals, parenting support programs, workshops, educational re-entry services, community resource referrals, scholarship resources, employability skills development, GED services, outreach conferences and other special programming. Career, student and community learning labs available.
The Empowerment Center is open from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
We have staff ready to assist you with general questions in a live virtual Zoom Room, face to face.
Click for Zoom Room
“Zoom is FREE & SAFE! Download the app below on your Android, smartphone, or tablet.
If working on your laptop or computer, join from your browser.”
Our department is the recipient of the following local, state, and national awards:
- 2015 NACADA Outstanding Institutional Advising Program Award
- 2015 Finalist, Excelencia in Education Award
- 2014 STAR Award, Texas Coordinating Board – GED to College Transition Program
- 2007 STAR Award - Texas Coordinating Board – Parent Child Program
- 2006 Model Program Award, American Association of Women In Higher Education
- 2003 Alamo Workforce Development Board Award for Excellence Through Innovation
703 Howard St.
(corner Evergreen and Howard Streets)
San Antonio, TX 78212