Center for English Language Learning
What is the Center for English Language Learning at San Antonio College?
The Center for English Language Learning at San Antonio College (CELL @ SAC) provides an opportunity for international students, immigrants, professionals, and other English Language Learners (ELLs) to study in a dynamic learning community and acquire or improve essential English skills. CELL @ SAC offers English language credit (ESLA and ENGA) and noncredit (ESL) classes to help students learn to read, write, speak, and understand American English for social, professional, and academic purposes.
Why Should I take ESL Classes at CELL @ SAC?
- A college degree
- More pay
- Better job opportunities
- Job promotions
- New skills
- Improvement in day-to-day communication
- Completion certificate for English Proficiency
A. English as Second Language for Academics (ESLA--credit)
- Intensive courses (Levels 1 - 4): Speaking and Listening; Writing; Grammar; and Reading and Vocabulary
- Purpose: Prepare students for advanced courses (ENGA) or to improve communication skills in English for professional careers.
B. English for Academic Purposes (ENGA--credit)
- Intensive courses: Grammar & Composition; and Reading & Vocabulary.
- Purpose: Prepare students for college or university classes.
- Requirements: (1) completion of ESLA or ESL level 4 or ENGA course placement testing; (2) *College readiness (TSI) exam
Who can apply?
ESLA (credit) classes if
- want to improve reading, writing, grammar, and listening/speaking skills for college-level courses;
- have an F-1 visa;
- have financial aid; or
- are U.S. citizens or permanent residents who wish to continue their education at SAC, transfer to university programs or pursue professional careers.
English as a Second Language (ESL--non-credit)
- Intensive courses (Levels 1-4): Speaking and Listening; Writing; Grammar; and Reading and Vocabulary
- Purpose: To improve communication skills in English for professional careers.
Who can apply?
ESL (non-credit) classes if
- have to pay out-of-state tuition;
- have any kind of visa except F-1 Visa;
- want to improve English skills for training or employment opportunities; and/or
- plan to take ESLA after they have in their possession, documents and/or evidence of a high school diploma, residency, etc.
What do I learn?
*To see a complete and detailed list of what you will learn, click on the link for Student Learning Outcomes.
What is the typical class schedule?
What are the additional services?
How do I apply?
CELL offers complete service for new and returning ESL Students. The Getting Started process includes information about classes, filling out an application, taking a placement test, registering for courses, and advising for other student questions and concerns. The Center for English Language Learning is located in Oppenheimer Academic Center OC #119 to register for ESLA, ENGA, & ESL classes. International Students Office is located on the second floor in OC #220.
Vision, Mission, and Goals
Vision: The vision of San Antonio College is to be recognized nationally for student success and best practices. As part of that vision, CELL @ SAC's vision is to provide a vibrant learning environment for English language learners (ELLs) to prepare for success in their academic and/or career choices.
The mission of the Center for English Language Learning at San Antonio College (CELL @ SAC) is to provide an opportunity for English Language Learners (ELLs) to study in a dynamic learning community in order to acquire essential English language and cultural adaptation skills necessary to meet academic, professional, and personal goals.
CELL @ SAC Goals:
To provide high-quality, comprehensive instruction for ELLs.
To prepare ELLs to transition to and be successful in college-level classes.
To develop the communication skills of ELLs to work in a diverse global society.
Oppenheimer Academic Center
(OC-119) (corner of Lewis and W. Evergreen)
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Student Support via Zoom
Tuesday and Thursday 1-2 p.m.
Zoom Link: https://alamo.zoom.us/j/98411504192
Meeting ID: 98411504192
English and Spanish
Monday to Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Spanish and English
Monday to Wednesday
9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Thursday 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
English, Farsi, and Arabic
Monday to Wednesday
noon - 5 p.m.
Thursday noon to 4 p.m.
Visit Us on Facebook