SAC Announces Return to Campus Plan
April 22, 2021
As the risk level for the coronavirus has begun to subside and the number of people receiving a vaccine has grown dramatically, San Antonio College, as well as the rest of the Alamo Colleges District, will begin to take careful, gradual steps to transition to a “new normal” that will meet the educational needs of students – and provide for the health and safety of the entire SAC family.
This transition will include a phased return to campus, increasing both the number of face-to-face classes and the availability of in-person services for our students.The transition will begin in anticipation of the coming Summer and Fall semester.
The following timeline has been developed to begin implementing a return. However, the timeline is subject to change, depending on coronavirus developments in our area.
- May 2021: Plan for Level 4 up to 10% capacity – effective May 3, 2021
- Summer 2021: Plan for Level 3 up to 25% capacity – effective May 31, 2021
- Fall 2021: Plans for Level 2 up to 50% with a contingency plan for Level I up to 75% – effective July 6, 2021
As the plan moves forward, the health and safety of our faculty, staff, and students remains SAC’s top priority. And the college will continue to align its plans with recommendations from the City of San Antonio, Bexar County, and the Centers for Disease Control.
HIGHLIGHTS: Summer 2021
- By May 31, up to 25 percent of essential support personnel, up to 25 percent of students, and up to 25 percent of faculty and staff will be onsite.
- By July 6, up to 50 percent of essential support personnel, up to 50 percent of students, and up to 50 percent of faculty and staff will be onsite.
- Student services will be provided both on campus and remotely throughout the summer. Hours and services will vary with each phase of the plan.
- Health screening, temperature checks and face coverings will be required for all persons on campus in Summer 2021. In addition, the number of health and safety screening stations will increase to monitor students and employees coming to SAC.
- All travel is canceled for Summer 2021.
- All meetings/training will be virtual in Summer 2021.
- SAC will continue to provide necessary technology for learning and working remotely.
- Existing remote work requests for Spring 2021 will be extended until July 15. However, no new remote requests can be submitted for the future. Employees may opt to work with their supervisors to return to onsite work sooner.
SAC will share the Fall 2021 plans in the coming weeks as they become finalized. The college also created a “one-stop” Return to Campus/Summer 2021 webpage with hyperlinks to all of the information needed for teaching, working and learning this summer. This page will be continually updated throughout the summer.