Since 1961, two million San Antonio school children and community members have learned about stars, planets, black holes and distant galaxies at the Scobee Planetarium. With the extensive renovation completed in 2014, the Scobee Planetarium now offers a more dynamic experience to even more visitors. Planetarium renovations include 100 individual reclined seats, a new light and sound system and the most advanced digital projection system.
In addition to daily field trip presentations for all grades, the Scobee Planetarium offers Friday night public presentations at 6:30 p.m. (Family Showing), 8:00 p.m. - The Sky Tonight live presentation and 9:30 p.m. - movie presentation. Children must be 6 yrs or older to be admitted to the 8:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. programs.
Tickets are currently credit card, cash or check only and sold 30 minutes prior to the presentation in our ticket booth. Sorry, no debit sales at this time. All members of the party should be present when tickets are purchased, once the doors close, no one is admitted late to the presentation.
MAY 2022 - Friday Night Public Show Schedule
*Teachers with their school ID are FREE in May.
Friday at 6:30 p.m. – “ATTACK OF THE SPACE PIRATES” – This is our family show. All ages may attend. Prepare for some galactic fun as the crew of the spaceship ‘Intrepid’ race to recover a lost technology, a device that will revolutionize our travels through the Milky Way. Battle cosmic “bad guys” and visit alien worlds, exploding stars, and a black hole as we attempt to evade the space pirates. Show duration: 40 minutes. Tickets go on sale at 6:00 p.m.
Friday at 8:00 p.m. – “THE SKY TONIGHT” – Children must be 6 and above to attend. This program takes the audience on a “live” tour of the wonders of the San Antonio sky. The show highlights the Moon, the evening and morning planets, plus we’ll identify several of the brightest stars and constellations visible in the current sky. The Sky Tonight is a "live" lecture.Show duration: 45-50 minutes. Tickets go on sale at 7:30 p.m.
Friday at 9:30 p.m. – DOUBLE FEATURE, “SECRET LIVES OF STARS” AND “VIOLENT UNIVERSE”
“SECRET LIVES OF STARS” – Children must be 6 and above to attend. Not all stars are created equal. Some are massive. Others are tiny; almost insignificant. The specific characteristics of a star will determine what type of life it will lead, how long it might live and even the type of death it will die. We will witness the amazing variety of stars and peer into their secret lives. Narrated by Sir Patrick Stewart of TV's Star Trek: The Next Generation.
“VIOLENT UNIVERSE” – Children must be 6 and above to attend. The beauty of a starlit sky conceals the violent forces at work within our universe. From the upheaval of a giant star that explodes to release its material into space, to a future encounter between the Earth and a large asteroid that passes too close for comfort, we will witness that hold the universe together and occasionally try to rip it apart. Narrated by Sir Patrick Stewart of TV's Star Trek: The Next Generation. Show duration for double feature: 1 hour. Tickets go on sale at 9:00 p.m.
Tickets go on sale 30 mins before planetarium show times.
The Scobee Planetarium ticket sales have been brisk during the 30 minutes prior to show times. It is encouraged that visitors arrive early if they plan to be seated. There are only 101 seats in our theatre and the shows often sell out.
- Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office inside the Scobee Education Center 30 minutes prior to show time. Tickets may be purchased with credit card, cash or check.
- Seating is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups should be together at the time of ticket purchase to ensure that all members of the group are present when the doors close. Shows start promptly at the designated times and due to the nature of the planetarium theatre, late entry is not permitted. Shows last 40 to 60 minutes in length.
- Birthday parties renting the spaces in the Scobee Education Center are provided 25 seats in the planetarium show following their gathering. These individuals are seated first as a result of this agreement. The Scobee Education Center does not sell advance tickets or take reservations separate from these birthday party agreements for Friday night shows. Birthday reservations are subject to availability of the Briefing Room, Mays North Lobby and programming.
See show schedule for age restrictions. Age restrictions will not be waived for the 8:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. programs.
Ticket sales begin 30 minutes prior to show time at the Ticket Office. Capacity is exactly 101 seats. Come early. Shows start promptly and late admission is not permitted. Tickets and seating are "first come-first served." No reservations taken.
Parents, please do not ask us to waive the age restrictions for the 8:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. shows.
Children under 17 - $4.00 per show
Adults age 18 and above - $5.00 per show
Seniors 65 and above - $4.00 per show
Military with ID - $4.00 per show
Teachers with Official School ID - $4.00 per show
Students, faculty, & staff of Alamo Colleges $2.00 per show with current ID.
For more information, visit our Facebook
The Scobee Education Center is located off of San Pedro & W. Myrtle St. on a new circular drive into the San Antonio College campus.
From San Pedro Avenue, just south of San Pedro Springs Park turn east at
the light nearest to W. Myrtle St. into the SAC campus. You will see the
large blue Cheever Star Tower ahead to your left across the circular
*Vehicles may park in Garage #3 off of San Pedro Ave. in any available space that is not posted as reserved. There is another entrance into Garage #3 from W. Evergreen St. by turning on Maverick St. into campus.
Google Map Location: https://tinyurl.com/scobeeeducationcenter
- Public programming is available on Friday Evenings only. School, camp and community group programs are available by reservation only during other times and dates. It is recommended that large scout and community groups prearrange their own programs instead of meeting at the public presentations in order to have everyone in their group seated. If you are coordinating a large group, please, contact our center to make special group arrangements during weekdays prior to the Friday evening public performances. Call 210-486-0100 or email sac-ScobeeCtr@alamo.edu
- Educators may download a summary of the planetarium presentations: 2021 Planetarium Show Listings w/TEKS
VIRTUAL PLANETARIUM PROGRAMS
- (Group presentation) Our planetarium programs are designed to be “grade-specific.” If you have questions about program content and which show to choose, ask our reservation secretary, Monica Gutierrez at 210-486-0100. The “Sky Tonight Live” presentation is the only astronomer-led presentation offered for up to 100 students via the Zoom Web platform. Plan your next sky adventures with our Planetarium Coordinator, Michelle Risse at mrisse2@alamo.