Victory Center Wins Veteran Education Excellence Award
September 24, 2021
The San Antonio College Office of Veterans Affairs received the 2021 Veteran Education Excellence Recognition Gold Award from the Texas Veterans Commission’s Veterans Education Program. This is the first year the award has been given and only 14 institutions received recognition.
The new award, established by the State of Texas, recognizes colleges and universities that are committed to supporting the needs of student veterans and their families. The commission awards gold, silver, and bronze level honors to institutions that provide excellence in education and related services to veteran students.
“I am proud that the Victory Center at San Antonio College is a Gold Level Recipient of the Texas Veterans Education Excellence Recognition Award,” said Tammy Micallef, director of Veterans Affairs – Victory Center. “This is very exciting and a great recognition of the hard work our team puts in on behalf of our veterans and military affiliated students each and every day.”
The Office of Veterans Affairs – Victory Center provides numerous services to veterans and their families. These include:
- Academic advising for all military affiliated students including veterans, active service members, guard and reserve members, and their family members
- Benefit certification for
- VA education benefits
- Veterans’ readiness and employment
- Hazlewood benefits
- MyCAA scholarship program
- Tuition assistance.
- Transition and career services (university transfers and employment resources)
- PTSD support group and life coaches
- Military sexual trauma support group and counseling
- Women veteran services
- VA Veteran Success on Campus (VSOC) counselor
- VA Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL) case management
- Disability Claims representation from Disabled American Veterans of America (DAV)
- Employment services including workshops and job fairs
“We are proudly serving those who served with pride and look forward to serving even more military affiliated students in the future,” said Micallef.
Other schools in the Alamo Colleges District were also honored by the Texas Veterans Commission: Palo Alto College also received a Gold Award, Northeast Lakeview College received a Silver Award, and St. Phillip’s College received a Bronze Award.