Centers of Excellence for Science
About the Center of Excellence for Science
This Center of Excellence (COE) is a cooperative effort based on community outreach, business and workforce partnerships, university transfer, college prep, and teacher professional development programs. Our center is a response to workforce needs for trained workers for high paying careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The Centers of Excellence are hosting their annual STEM youth summer programs and are seeking participation from a variety of community members. Faculty are being sought to join the instructional team, college students are needed to support faculty and staff and children are invited to apply to the various programs.
STEM Academic Disciplines
- Health Sciences
- Applied Electrical and Mechanical Technology
- Business Information Solutions
- Aircraft, Construction & Manufacturing
- Natural Sciences
Scholarships & Career Development
- Student Instructional Assistant Opportunities (PDF) Apply to assist the Centers in facilitating its informal STEM programs for children. Students selected as facilitators will be compensated for assisting faculty with engaging hands on activities for 5th to 12th grade students. Applications will be accepted until filled.
- STEM Summer Research Program (PDF) Students will be part of the Center for Dark Energy Biosphere Investigations to better understand the ecology of the sub-seafloor as the global ocean comprises the Earth’s largest biome and will also participate in a bioinformatics course. DEADLINE: Feb 23rd, 2018
- Carnegie Mellon University This 8 week program is designed to provide research opportunities to undergraduates who may be considering pursuing graduate training in the learning sciences. We encourage applications from students who would like to conduct research at the interface of the learning sciences and one or more of the following disciplines: psychology, education, computer science, and human-computer interaction. DEADLINE Feb 23.
- Special Projects Club is seeking new members to join their organization to assist in building, Tiger 1, an electric car project. The club is seeking students with skills in engineering, mechanics, and data analysis. They are also seeking assistance with public relations, management, fundraising and networking.
- Student Engagement Grant is offered to students who are interested in joining the Centers of Excellence in their efforts to expanding STEM college and career awareness.
- Fastweb: High seniors and current college students
July 30-Aug 3, 2018 - This activity is designed for 4th-8th grade students to explore robotic design, construction and programming using Lego EV3 robots.
Science and Math Summer Academy (SAMSA)
July 2018 - SAMSA offers 11-15 year old students the opportunity to see math and science in action.
Women Breaking Through
October 2018 - WBT is an annual conference for teenage girls who are interested in pursuing academic and professional careers in STEM.
CORE 4 STEM Family Day
November 5, 2018 - The event is coordinated to inspire 6-9 grade students and their families pursue STEM degrees and careers.
December 2018 - The symposium is a single element in establishing a robust, sustainable framework for communicating the needs and interests of the greater San Antonio area.
Green Energy and Engineering Day
February 2019 - The Centers host engaging STEM activities for fifth through twelfth grade students.
Research Internship Opportunities
Please click on the links below to learn the latest developments for each of these opportunities.
- Campus to Careers - The National Council for Science and the Environment Clearinghouse enables students to search for environmental internships.
SWC Industrial Technology Center (ICT) (Building 1), Room C-153A