Camp Season Begins at SPC
June 11, 2018
CAMP SEASON BEGINS AT ST. PHILIP’S COLLEGE THIS WEEK
The St. Philip's College offerings of summer camps at the college's 1801 Martin Luther King Drive and 800 Quintana Road locations are five days from the June 11 opening day for most of the college’s summer out of school programs.
Find details online for each camp listed below, and check the college home page www.alamo.edu/spc for announcements of additional camps (particularly the new-for-2018 Miss Cipher cyber camp) for summer 2018.
- June 11- Aug. 10 | KIDS’ CAMP with Microsociety | 10 weeks of fun and educational programs for ages 4-13 | KIDS' Camp
- June 11-28 | Motivating and Engaging with STEM Activities (MESA) | Math and Engineering project-based learning for grades 9-12 - Apply before May 31 | Motivating and Engaging with STEM Activities (MESA)
- June 11–Aug. 3 | Student Leadership and Academic Movement (SLAM) | For Eastside Promise Zone residents, STEM project-based learning for ages 11-15 | http://ellaaustin.org/programs-services/youth-services/ | Inquire directly with Ella Austin Community Center Youth Development Director Stephen Lucke, 210-224-2351 ext. 127
- June 11-12 | Camp 98.6 | Cost-free week of health professions study at St. Philip's College and University Health System for students at different high schools each year – For Judson High School students only in 2018 | Inquire directly with Health Sciences chairs Melmar Ordinario email@example.com and Jessica Cooper 210-486-2050 firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 11-July 26 | Prefreshman Engineering Program 1 (PREP) | Math-based learning for grades 6-12 - Apply for 2019 class Nov. 2018-Jan. 2019 | http://prep-usa.org/wp/
- June-August | San Antonio Youth Wind Ensembles (SAYWE) | Advanced wind and percussion performance - Auditions scheduled throughout the season | San Antonio Youth Wind Ensembles (SAYWE)
- July 9 – July 27 | Ms. Cipher | Computer Science program for females grades 9-12 - Apply before June 30 | Miss Cipher
- July 9 -26 | Science and Math Summer Academy (SAMSA) | STEM project based learning, field trips and guest speakers for ages 11-15 - Apply before June 30 | Science and Math Summer Academy (SAMSA)
- July 31-Aug. 3 | Robotics Summer Program | Design, construction and programming of Lego EV3 robots for grades 6-8 - Apply before July 7 | Center of Excellence for Science
Beginning in July, new-and-debuting at St. Philip’s College for 2018, Miss Cipher is a summer enrichment program focused on encouraging young females to explore the computer science field through interactive exploratory modules covering basic coding and robotics.
Maria Rodriguez is director of the Center of Excellence for Mathematics at St. Philip's College, organizer for the new camp.
"The center team is collaborating with our business information solutions department and faculty to present this exciting new summer program," said Rodriguez. The college's business department is renown as one of the city's first National Security Agency-approved two-year college cybersecurity programs where earlier this month, high school students earned federal certifications of training and preparation for entry-level jobs in the second largest cybersecurity workforce concentration in the U.S.---second only to the national capitol region.
CAPTION: Archival images of St. Philip's College summer camps for all ages are a reminder that most camps begin next week. (SLAM and Kids' Camp are SPC archival images - SPC SAYWE image by Julysa Sosa)